A comprehensive worldwide study of borders and border vulnerability, this important resource clearly chronicles and maps territorial boundaries of the world's nations.
In the light of resurgent nationalism, the fall of communism, and the lingering legacy of colonialism, territorial boundaries remain a contentious issue for many states. Arranged by country, this timely atlas examines in detail the topography and geography of borders, as well as treaties and other diplomatic maneuverings that have set modern-day territorial boundaries. Featuring measurements of the political, economical, social, and military relationships between states, combined with a measure of geographical accessibility, the atlas also explores the probability of conflict.
* Covers all the states in the world and their dependencies, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe
* Details treaties and other important legal settlements that have set today's borders
* 200 b/w maps illustrate international boundaries as well as physical and topographical features
* Each boundary is explained both with descriptive text as well as visually on maps
* Provides an assessment of geopolitical vulnerability for each boundary
* Features an easy-to-comprehend key to help clarify numerical ratios and geographical terms
* Offers accurate and concrete information about the circumstances leading to conflicts currently in the news
In a time when over 70 percent of international conflicts are related to boundaries--from local tensions such as those over Abu Musa, to macro-political issues involving trans-boundary flows of drugs, arms, and terrorism--this authoritative reference will prove valuable to students and researchers of international relations, security studies, world history, and geography, as well as to professionals working for international NGOs, embassies, military institutions, and global corporations.
Each entry features:
* A synopsis of the location of the country, its basic geography, and population statistics
* Descriptions of land and maritime boundaries and a summary of territorial settlements and treaties between contiguous countries
* A geopolitical index, assigned to each country border, considering all aspects of geography-including physical, historical, economic, strategic, and social dimensions--and all levels of political decision-making
* A map illustrating the borders as well as topographical features and major cities of the country
* A detailed analysis examining national boundary vulnerability, assessing the stability of the country as a whole
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
This work presents international territorial and maritime boundaries for every country in the world. The book provides a geopolitical assessment for each country, a description of the treaties involved in their delimitation and a detailed map relating to the boundaries.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
(No Available Copies)
If you know the book but cannot find it on AbeBooks, we can automatically search for it on your behalf as new inventory is added. If it is added to AbeBooks by one of our member booksellers, we will notify you!Create a Want