The emergence and refinement of techniques in molecular biology has changed our perceptions of medicine, agriculture, and environmental management. Scientific breakthroughs in gene expression, protein engineering, and cell fusion are being translated by a strengthening biotechnology industry into revolutionary new products and services. Many a student has been enticed by the promise of biotechnology and the excitement of being near the cutting edge of scientific advancement. However, graduates trained in molecular biology and cell manipulation soon realize that these techniques are only part of the picture. Reaping the full benefits of biotechnology requires manufacturing capability involving the large-scale processing of biological material. Increasingly, biotechnologists are being employed by companies to work in cooperation with chemical engineers to achieve pragmatic commercial goals. For many years, aspects of biochemistry and molecular genetics have been included in chemical engineering curricula, yet there has been little attempt until recently to teach aspects of engineering applicable to process design to biotechnologists.
This textbook is the first to present the principles of bioprocess engineering in a way that is accessible to biological scientists. Other texts on bioprocess engineering currently available assume that the reader already has engineering training. On the other hand, chemical engineering textbooks do not consider examples from bioprocessing, and are written almost exclusively with the petroleum and chemical industries in mind. This publication explains process analysis from an engineering point of view, but refers exclusively to the treatment of biological systems. Over 170 problems and worked examples encompass a wide range of applications, including recombinant plant and animal cell cultures, immobilized catalysts, as well as traditional fermentation systems.
* First book to present the principles of bioprocess engineering in a way that is accessible to biological scientists
* Explains process analysis from an engineering point of view, but uses worked examples relating to biological systems
* Comprehensive, single-authored
* 170 problems and worked examples encompass a wide range of applications, involving recombinant plant and animal cell cultures, immobilized catalysts, and traditional fermentation systems
* 13 chapters, organized according to engineering sub-disciplines, are grouped in four sections--Introduction, Material and Energy Balances, Physical Processes, and Reactions and Reactors
* Each chapter includes a set of problems and exercises for the student, key references, and a list of suggestions for further reading
* Includes useful appendices, detailing conversion factors, physical and chemical property data, steam tables, mathematical rules, and a list of symbols used
* Suitable for course adoption--follows closely curricula used on most bioprocessing and process biotechnology courses at senior undergraduate and graduate levels
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Book Condition: New. New. SoftCover International edition. Different ISBN and Cover image but contents are same as US edition.Perfect condition. Ship by express service to USA, Canada, Australia, France, Italy, UK, Germany and Netherland. Customer satisfaction our priority. Bookseller Inventory # ABE-190516-120585
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. New. SoftCover International edition. Different ISBN and Cover image but contents are same as US edition. Customer Satisfaction guaranteed!!. Bookseller Inventory # SHAK120585
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # BNDUSA-45733
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # BNDUSA-6628
Book Description Academic Press. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 0122208560 Brand New Book. Premium International Edition with Same Contents. Fast Delivery. Bookseller Inventory # INDSKT-9788131200018
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Brand New Paperback International Edition, Perfect Condition. Printed in English. Excellent Quality, Service and customer satisfaction guaranteed!. Bookseller Inventory # AIND-6628
Book Description Book Condition: New. Brand New Paperback International Edition.We Ship to PO BOX Address also. EXPEDITED shipping option also available for faster delivery. Bookseller Inventory # AUSB-6628
Book Description St Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.: Academic Pr, 1995. Soft cover. Book Condition: New. No Jacket. This book is BRAND NEW Soft cover International edition with black and white printing. ISBN number and cover page may be different but contents identical to the US edition word by word. Book is in English language. Bookseller Inventory # cbs179
Book Description Academic Press, 1995. Book Condition: New. Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service! Summary: From the Prepublication Reviews: "In general the text is very well written, well organized and is of high quality in all respects. The emphasis on physical explanations that accompany the equations is very helpful. The coverage is very complete and comprehensive." -DAVID DIBIASIO, WORCESTER POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE, MASSACHUSETTS, USA. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_new_0122208560
Book Description Academic Press. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 0122208560 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW4.0040136