This book is the first ever, comprehensive photographic guide to the identification of all 24 species of hummingbirds to be seen as breeders or vagrants in North America..
For all their startling colours, the speed of hummingbird flight and the often drab coloration of females and immatures make this group especially difficult to deal with in the field. The simple field marks are often poorly lit, hard to spot, or simply not shown by any particular individual under observation. But accurate identification of these popular and beautiful birds brings both real satisfaction and a welcome challenge to most birders.
Steve Howell, a well-known and respected bird tour leader and author, has made a particular study of the finer points of hummingbird recognition and has specially chosen over 200 stunning photographs to complement the information given in his text. Some species feature as many as 14 photographs. A detailed introduction covers the basics of hummingbird anatomy and plumage variation, allowing the observer to effectively focus on points that are of value in the field. New field marks are provided and old myths dispelled in this ground breaking and essential new guide.
* Contains up to 14 full-color photos for each species, with detailed photo captions
* Detailed introduction covers fundatmentals of hummingbird identification, including discussions of anatomy, plumage variation, and molt
* Comprehensive species accounts describe all plumages, compare similar species in depth, and discuss voice, displays, behavior, geographic range, and seasonal distribution
* Emphasizes difficult to identify plumages, such as females and immatures
* Features 200 stunning photos picked specifically to show identification criteria
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Steve Howell, Point Reyes Bird Observatory, Stinson Beach, California, U.S.A.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Academic Press, 2001. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0123569559
Book Description Academic Press, 2001. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0123569559