This Practical resource gives primary teachers a collection of stimulating, tested learning center activities to teach and reinforce alphabet letters and their sounds. Helps children identify and spell words with ease!
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
This practical resource gives primary teachers a collection of stimulating, tested learning center activities to teach and reinforce alphabet letters and their sounds based on the unique ?Holder & Fastie Alphabet? that enables young children to hear and feel the letter sounds, and modeled reading and writing strategies that help children identify and spell words with ease!
You?ll find easy-to-follow, illustrated steps for presenting each of the 26 letters of the alphabet using multisensory cues and charts, plus detailed directions and reproducible patterns for creating a variety of learning centers to give children practice in using the alphabet and connecting letter knowledge to reading and writing.
For your convenience, all materials in the Kit are printed in a big spiral-bound format that folds flat for photocopying of over 200 illustrated reproducible pages and organized into the following seven sections:
1. PHONEMIC AWARENESS explains how the many multisensory activities featured in the Kit support children in acquiring knowledge about the sounds of our language.
2. THE HOLDER & FASTIE ALPHABET? provides auditory, visual, and tactile-kinesthetic cues that focus on directing children to attend to how and where the sounds are produced and felt.? Illustrated alphabet cards clearly show the difference between sounds that can be extended when uttered (?holders? like the letters a, f, and l) and stop sounds that cannot be held (?fasties? like the letters c, g, and r).? Also included in this section is the Spanish version of the Holder & Fastie Alphabet.
3. ALPHABET "TUBBING" ACTIVITIES FOR LEARNING CENTERS contains illustrated directions for creating 31 hands-on alphabet activities for independent, partner, and small group use.? These "tubbing" activities give children many opportunities to practice their new alphabet skills while having fun.? Examples include ABC Sound Sticks, Picture Books, ABC Egg Twist, and Class Letter Books.
4. TEACHING THE "LETTER OF THE WEEK" gives students intense exposure to each letter and its corresponding sound through a variety of motivating activities, including a class-created "Letter of the Week" book and individual "My Rainbow Letter Books."
5. READING:? DEVELOPING STRATEGY ORIENTED ACTIVITIES FOR BEGINNING READERS features modeled, guided, and independent reading strategies plus reproducibles such as an "I Can Read Book," a "Color Book," and story sequence and mapping pages.
6. WRITING:? DEVELOPING STRATEGY-ORIENTED ACTIVITIES FOR BEGINNING WRITERS features modeled, guided, and independent writing strategies plus reproducibles such as a "My Journal" page and story prompts ("My Published Stories").
7. HOME/SCHOOL PARTNERSHIP:? GETTING PARENTS INVOLVED presents games, activities and reproducibles to enlist parents? help in reinforcing the strategies used at school.
You?ll also find eight special appendices filled with special helps such as "Strategies for Teaching High-Frequency Words," "Spatial Anchors and Supports" for children who have difficulty forming letters or writing, a full-color "Holder & Fastie Alphabet Chart" and more.
In short, Alphabet Learning Center Activities Kit gives you research-supported practices, teaching techniques, and hands-on materials ? all of the effective elements of a comprehensive emergent- and beginning-level literacy program needed to make your students? introduction to alphabet letters and sounds memorable, successful, and fun!About the Author:
Nancy Fetzer is a District Literacy trainer and Title One Facilitator for the Naranca School District (El Cajon, CA).? She has an extensive background in general and special education, including reading recovery teacher and resource specialist.? She has co-authored and co-produced two educational videos:? Successful Classroom and Successful Schools.
Sandra F. Rief has been teaching in public schools for over 23 years, and is a mentor emeritus in her school district (San Diego Unified).? She is the author of How to Reach and Teach ADD/ADHD Children (CARE, 1993) and THE ADD/ADHD Checklist:? An Easy Reference for Parents & Teachers (Prentice Hall, 1998).? She is currently serving as a consultant with the New York City Public Schools.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Jossey-Bass, 2000. Spiral-bound. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0130858781
Book Description Jossey-Bass, 2000. Book Condition: New. Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service! Summary: Introduction. How This Kit Will Help You. SECTION 1: Phonemic Awareness. The Holder & Fastie Alphabet. ABC Tubbing Activities. Letter of the Week. Word Warm-Ups. Shared Reading. Modeled Writing. Take-Home Activities. Additional Phonemic Awareness Activities. SECTION 2: The Holder & Fastie Alphabet. AA-Z: How to Present and Teach the Letters and Sounds of the Alphabet. Visual Features of the Charts. Other Important Features of the Alphabet Boxes. Symbol Guide for Instructors. Other Important. What Else Do You Need to Know Before Getting Started? The Holder & Fastie Alphabet from AA-Z. Spanish Version Holder & Fastie Letter/Sounds. A Handy, Easy Reference for Consonant Digraphs, Blends, and "Expert Words". Reproducibles: English Holder & Fastie Alphabet Chart, Spanish Holder & Fastie Alphabet Chart. SECTION 3: Alphabet "Tubbing" Activities for Learning Centers. Materials You Need. Suggested Teaching Points for Upper-Grade Tutors or Other Assistants. 3-1. ABC Pocket Books. 3-2. ABC Button Up. 3-3. ABC Velcro? Match (or Match Us Up). 3-4. ABC Pencils. 3-5. ABC Sock Clothesline. 3-6. ABC Apron. 3-7. Alphabet Tablecloth. 3-8. Alpha File. 3-9. ABC Purses. 3-10. Alphabet Fishing. 3-11. ABC Jewelry Boxes. 3-12. ABC Sort & Match. 3-12A. Chinese Take-Out Food. 3-12B. ABC Milk Carton. 3-12C. ABC Mini-Pockets. 3-12D. ABC Pocket Chart. 3-12E. Plastic Tubs. 3-12F. ABC Plastic Tackle Box. 3-13. ABC Mystery Can. 3-14. ABC Food & Plates. 3-15. ABC Silverware. 3-16. ABC Sound Sticks. 3-17. Sound Puzzles. 3-18. ABC Egg Twist. 3-19. ABC Clothespins. 3-20. Holder & Fastie Chart Match-Up. 3-21. ABC Bingo. 3-22. ABC Circles. 3-23. ABC Picture Sort. 3-24. Alphabet Book. 3-24A. ABC Library Book Center. 3-24B. Class Letter Books. 3-24C. Holder & Fastie Book/Listening Center. Reproducibles: Tub Labels, Blackline Master for Alpha File, ABC Clothespin Construction Pictures, ABC Picture Sort Cards. SECTION 4: Teaching the "Letter of the Week". Monday Rotation. My Rainbow Letter Book, Home Practice. Reproducible: Parent Letter. "Letter of the Week" Class Book. Presenting Each Daily Page, Sequence of Introducing the "Letter of the Week", Other Activities for Teaching and Reinforcing the "Letter of the Week". Reproducibles: My Rainbow Letter Book, A to Z. SECTION 5: Reading: Developing Strategy-Oriented Activities for Beginning Readers. How to Model Good Reading Behavior to Emergent Readers. Read-Aloud, Shared Reading. Reproducibles: Picture Box Sequencing, Butcher Paper Mapping, First Day of Kindergarten, I Can Read Book. Guided Reading at the Emergent Level. Initial Stage for Teaching Beginning Reading Behaviors, The Reading (Story) Folder, Guided Reading with Unseen Text. Good Reader Buddies-Cueing System Prompts and Reference. Reproducibles: Color Books). SECTION 6: Writing: Developing Strategy-Oriented Activities for Beginning Writers. Modeled Writing. Generating and Writing the Sentences, Involving Students During the First Step of the Modeled Writing Process, Locating and Circling Information in the Text. Guided Writing. Teaching the "Writing Position", Teaching Spacing, Preparing for Journal Groups, What Happens First During a Journal Writing Group?, What Happens Next?, Working with Experienced Writers, Working with Middle/Average-Performing Writers, Working with Beginner (Inexperienced) Writers, What About Spelling?, Publishing Journal Stories, Keeping a Record/Portfolio of Published Books. Reproducibles: My Jou. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_new_0130858781
Book Description Jossey-Bass. SPIRAL-BOUND. Book Condition: New. 0130858781 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW4.0045110
Book Description Jossey-Bass, 2000. Spiral-bound. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110130858781
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97801308587881.0