This leading introduction to public policy is designed to provide learners with concrete tools for not only understanding public policy in general, but for analyzing specific public policies. It focuses on what policies governments pursue, why governments pursue the policies they do, and what the consequences of these policies are. Very contemporary in perspective, it introduces eight analytical models currently used by political scientists to describe and explain political life and then, using these various analytical models—singly and in combination—explores specific public policies in a variety of key domestic policy areas. For individuals interested in a summary of current public policy in a variety of areas.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
This introduction to the models political scientists use to describe and explain political life explores what policies governments pursue, why governments pursue the policies they do, and what the consequences of these policies are.From the Back Cover:
“Probably the best general public policy textbook on the market, Dye’s Understanding Public Policy has proven its worth, utility and staying power over the years with its comprehensive treatment of critical issues and ability to link theory with practice.” – Euel Elliott, University of Texas at Dallas
The gold-standard for introductory public policy texts, Understanding Public Policy is designed to provide students with concrete tools for not only understanding public policy in general, but for analyzing specific public policies. This new edition focuses on the many policy changes initiated by President Barack Obama, with special attention given to the economic policies addressing the global financial crisis.
New to the Thirteenth Edition
· Analysis of President Obama’s Budget of the United States Government 2010 , including critical and comprehensive coverage of bank bailouts, the stimulus package, the TARP program, mortgage modification, the purchase of “toxic assets,” and dramatic increases in federal spending.
· Discussion on the Obama administration’s Tax Code and plans to raise taxes on capital gains and increase top marginal tax rates.
· A focus on asymmetrical warfare in the chapter on defense policy –countering small-scale guerilla operations, ambushes, hidden explosives, suicide bombings, and hostage takings.
· Three new case studies on the Gulf War, the war in Iraq, and the war in Afghanistan analyze the use of military force.
· A special section, “What Went Wrong in Iraq,” describes the early mistakes, later stabilization, and phased withdrawal of U.S. forces in that country.
· Detailed coverage of the resurrected debate over comprehensive immigration policy reform and border control.
· New coverage of energy policy is incorporated into the environmental policy discussion with treatment of national and international efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the “cap and trade” model, and the role of the nuclear power industry.
· The health policy chapter has been substantially revised to include analysis of President Obama’s healthcare plan.
· An in depth discussion on education policy is included, with special attention to the No Child Left Behind Act controversies, and President Obama’s plans for teacher accountability, merit pay, and standardized testing.
· New coverage of several Supreme Court decisions, including the 2008 hearing of the District of Columbia vs. Heller affirming an individual’s right to bear arms.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Prentice Hall, 2004. Book Condition: New. Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service!. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_new_0131174525
Book Description Prentice Hall, 2004. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0131174525
Book Description Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2008. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 11th Edition. The book is New, has several light and small scratches on the back cover, otherwise in Excellent condition. Quantity Available: 1. Shipped Weight: Under 1 kilo. ISBN: 0131174525. ISBN/EAN: 9780131174528. Inventory No: 1560786824. Bookseller Inventory # 1560786824