Over one million copies of the fifth edition of the Little Oxford Dictionary have been sold since its publication in 1980. This most thorough revision to date features:
· New larger format.
· Far more attractive pages than any other dictionary of its price.
· Great increase in contemporary vocabulary, especially technical and scientific terms. New words include: ageism, aikido, allergenci, futon, privatize, surrogate mother, tofu, user-friendly.
· Different senses of words ordered by frequency of use.
· Abbreviations kept to a minimum.
· Pronunciations given in the International Phonetic Alphabet.
· New appendix on some vexing questions of pronunciation, spelling, plurals, meaning, and grammar (such as all right, decimate, shall/will) added to those on countries and the metric system.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press, 1986. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0198611889
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 1986. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 6. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0198611889