Top 10 Most Expensive Sales for May 2008
I’m a little late putting May’s list up, but better late then never!
1. Etudes à l’Eau-Forte by Francis Seymour Haden – $17,216
A collection of 25 etchings by Seymour Hayden. 24 of the plates depict the landscape around London, the Thames, Ireland and Wales and the final plate is a portrait of Thomas Haden. The text reproduces an article printed in the Gazette des Beaux-Arts by Philippe Burty and contains a catalogue of the etched work of Seymour Haden.
2. Grimms Fairy Tales by Jakob and Wilhelm Grimm – $11,388
A first edition, first issue copy of these famous fairy tales, includes 22 etched plates by George Cruikshank. Housed in clamshell box.
3. Atlas der Krystallformen by Victor Goldschmidt - $8500
A complete 18 volume treatise on modern mineralogy by the man considered to be the founder of modern geochemistry and crystal chemistry, developer of the Goldschmidt Classification of elements.
4. Traité élémentaire de Chimie by Antoine-Laurent de Lavoisier - $7709
Second printing of Traité élémentaire de Chimie, which is considered to be the first modern chemistry Textbook created. Lavoisier has been called the father of modern chemistry and is credited with the introduction of the metric system and the law of conservation of mass.
5. The Library of Treasury of French Law by Laurent Bouchel – $6356
A digest of the laws of France put together in alphabetical order by the lawyer and French writer Laurent Bouchel in 1615.
6. English Etchings – A Collection of Original Etching – $5867
An 8 volume set of the English Etchings series of prints. A thorough survey of the etched work of English artists such as William Strang, James McNeill Whistler, Frank Short, Percy Thomas, Herbert Marshall, Robert Currie, Buxton Knight and Oliver Baker among othes.
7. The Four Books of Architecture by Andrea Palladio - $5844
A treatise by the Italian Renaissance architect widely considered to be one of the most influential people in the history of Western architecture. This was the first French edition (1640), which included woodcuts from the original Italian edition of 1570
8. A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf - $4950
A limited, signed, first edition copy of this 1929 essay on feminism.
9. The Collected Poems by D.H. Lawrence – $4893
A limited first edition, one of 100 numbered copies that were signed by Lawrence. This 1928 two volume collection comes with a cream dustjacket that is especially prone to wear, thus making fine copies highly desirable