Who is buying the Booker books?
According to The Bookseller (a UK based magazine) sales for the 13 long listed Booker novels are a bit on the sluggish side. Only 11 of them are available for sale in shops and combined they have only sold 42,451 copies, which is 20,000 copies shy of overly endowed UK glamour model, and page 3 girl Katie Price’s (aka Jordan) most recent “novel” Angel Uncovered
If that’s not distressing enough, Michelle de Kretser, a Commonwealth Writers’ Prize-winner, sits bottom of the list with The Lost Dog having sold just 363 copies in the UK since its release in May.
2008 Booker Long List sales Figures
1. The Enchantress of Florence 15,433
2. Child 44 8,278
3. Sea of Poppies 5,034
4. Netherland 4,023
5. The Clothes on Their Backs 3,592
6. The White Tiger 1,852
7. The Secret Scripture 1,568
8. A Case of Exploding Mangoes 1,000
9. The Northern Clemency 916
10. A Fraction of the Whole 392
11. The Lost Dog 363