AbeBooks' Reading Copy

« | »

The 50 Funniest American Writers

A man called Andy Borowitz has written a book called The 50 Funniest American Writers: An Anthology of Humor From Mark Twain to The Onion. It comes out in October. USA Today seems to know who Borowitz is but I haven’t got a clue. It’s a shame Bill Hicks didn’t write a book because I can’t think of any American comedian who has come close to him since he died in 1994. Shouldn’t John Kennedy Toole be on the list?

The 50 Funniest American Writers
Jack Handey
David Owen
George Saunders
Jenny Allen
Sloane Crosley
Larry Wilmore

Posted by on August 12, 2011.

Categories: author, comics, humor, lists

11 Responses

1. If Don Marquis isn’t on a list such as this, it’s a lousy list. Marquis is easily in the top ten.

by Ralph Hickok on Aug 13, 2011 at 9:14 am

2. Where the hell is Kurt Vonnegut and why is he not on this list? >:(

by Rachael Owen on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:02 am

3. I agree with both of you guys. Lousy list.

by Richard Davies on Aug 15, 2011 at 8:13 am

4. Agreed. However, Thone Smith needs to be somewhere on the list

by Sebastian Grey on Aug 16, 2011 at 9:07 pm

5. I guess people of a certain age don’t know who Borowitz is, but he’s one of the most popular comedians in the world. Maybe go to Wikipedia?

by Leslie Spino on Aug 17, 2011 at 5:00 pm

6. Careful with your use of the word ‘world’ – the United States does not mean the entire world.

by Richard Davies on Aug 22, 2011 at 7:56 am

7. I meant world. I’m from Sydney. He performed here a few years ago at Town Hall and it was standing room only. I have never laughed so hard in my life.

by Leslie Spino on Aug 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm

8. My favourite American comedian from the past 2 decades was Bill Hicks, who sadly died on cancer.

by Richard Davies on Aug 25, 2011 at 9:56 am

9. Well…lot of people I never heard of, but some on the list are very good. Carlin’s books are simply compilations of his standup acts, so including him is weak. Garrison Keillor is maybe our greatest oral storyteller, but he loses much on paper. The exclusion of Vonnegut and Carl Hiaasen simply had to be oversights of the greatest magnitude, and I’ll bet mr. Norowitz wishes he had those omissions back.

by Bill Welsh on Aug 27, 2011 at 5:41 pm

10. I just received my copy from Library of America on Wednesday. I’m almost finished reading it and I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard at a book. The breadth of writers they pulled together is amazing – I doubt there’s another anthology out there that would have the vision to include Mark Twain, Nora Ephron, The Onion, Bernie Mac, Dave Barry, John Hughes, Jean Shepherd… I could go on. I don’t miss Vonnegut on the list because the Library of America just did an entire volume of Vonnegut so it would be redundant to have him here. All in all I would have to say that Andy Borowitz knocked it out of the park with this one. No one will agree with every choice he made, but this is flat-out the best American humor collection I’ve seen. A+.

by Liza Cantwell on Sep 2, 2011 at 6:30 am

11. I am not a lover of such anthologies, because they usually feel incomplete (or overlong in the attempt to be complete). However, Mr. Borowitz’s effort here is superb. From Ring Lardner to SJ Perelman to Ian Frazier and Veronica Geng, all the heavyweights are represented here. And the Library of America put it all together in a very attractive package. This is a book to treasure.

by Harry Beeson on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:13 am