Orange Prize Shortlist 2012
Celebrating its 17th anniversary this year, the Orange Prize showcases excellence, originality and accessibility in women’s writing throughout the world. Today, its shortlist was announced:
– Foreign Bodies by Cynthia Ozick
– The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright
– State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
– The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
– Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan
– Painter of Silence by Georgina Harding
It is the debut novel for Madeline Miller, and the second Esi Edugyan, who has already earned plenty of attention for Half Blood Blues (including a Giller prize). Seasoned veterans Anne Enright and Ann Patchett will be tough to beat. I know little to none about Georgina Harding (which in my experience means she’ll win!). I personally am rooting for Cynthia Ozick, who just turned 84. You go, girl.
The winner will be announced at an award ceremony on May 30th, 2012.