- The 2016 Colorado Antiquarian Book Seminar Contest (the "Contest") is offered by AbeBooks Inc., Suite 500 – 655 Tyee Road, Victoria, BC CANADA, V9A 6X5 ("Sponsor").
- No purchase or payment is necessary in order to participate in the Contest.
- Only legal residents of the United States of America (excluding Puerto Rico and any other U.S. territories and possessions) or Canada (excluding Quebec), having reached the older of 18 years old or the age of majority in their province or state of residence, who reside in and who are physically located in the United States of America (excluding its territories and possessions) or Canada (excluding Quebec) as of April 11, 2016 are eligible to enter the Contest. The Contest is void in Puerto Rico, any/all U.S. territories and possessions, the Province of Quebec and where restricted or prohibited.
- Employees, agents or officers of AbeBooks Inc., Amazon.com, Inc. and Antiquarian Book School Foundation, or of any entity involved in the development, production, implementation and distribution of the Contest, including any advertising or promotion agency, supplier of prizes for the Contest, parent company, service provider, subsidiary or affiliate of any such entity or any other entity directly associated with the Contest (hereinafter the "Contest Entities") or any member of the immediate family of and/or person living in the same household as such persons, are ineligible to enter the Contest. The Contest Entities reserve the right to require proof of identity and/or eligibility at any time and failure to provide such proof may result in disqualification.
HOW TO ENTER
- To enter, an entrant must send an e-mail entry to firstname.lastname@example.org and complete the following sentence: "The best thing about bookselling is..." The e-mail must also include your complete name and hometown and state or province. The subject line of the e-mail must include "Colorado Book Seminar". Each entry must be suitable for family reading. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and unfettered discretion to disqualify at any time any entry containing obscene, offensive, pornographic or sexually explicit material, or libelous, disparaging or other inappropriate content or subject matter (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion).
- All entries must be received between April 11, 2016 at 10:00:01 am Pacific Time and May 5, 2016 at 9:59:59 am Pacific Time (the "Contest Period"). All entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
- Limit one entry per person and e-mail address during the Contest Period. You may only use one (1) e-mail address to enter the Contest.
- If there is a dispute over the identity of an entrant whose entry was submitted through e-mail, the entrant will be deemed to be the authorized holder of the e-mail address as determined by the organization responsible for administering the submitted e-mail address.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- All entries must be the original creations of the entrants. By submitting an entry, each entrant represents and warrants that his/her entry is his/her original creation; has not been copied or derived in whole or in part from any other work; does not violate or infringe any copyright, trademark, privacy or publicity right, or other personal, proprietary or intellectual property right of any person or entity; is not defamatory, libelous, obscene, or otherwise illegal; and is the sole and exclusive property of the entrant.
- Each entrant further represents and warrants that he/she has complete, worldwide distribution rights for his/her entry in all forms, regardless of distribution method.
- Sponsor may disqualify any entrant whose entry Sponsor deems, in its sole discretion, at any time not to comply with any requirement described in these Official Rules or the foregoing representations and warranties.
- Entrants assume all risk of lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, garbled, undelivered, or illegible entries.
- By submitting an entry, each entrant grants to Sponsor the non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display the entry throughout the world in any media, in each case, without providing compensation to entrant or any other person, except where prohibited by law.
- Entrants represent that they have received the written consent of any person (or parent or legal guardian if such person is a minor) who is named in any entry to include such person's name and other personal or confidential information in the entry submitted for the purpose of the Contest and the license granted under these Official Rules. Failure to obtain or provide such consent will disqualify the entry. Sponsor will have the right at any time during the Contest to request proof of such consent and to disqualify any entry for which such consent cannot be provided. Entrants agree to indemnify and hold harmless each of the Contest Entities for any action brought by a person whose consent entrant did not obtain.
- Entries, along with the entrant's name, hometown and state or province of residence, may be posted on any Web site owned and/or operated by Sponsor or any of its respective affiliates ("Sponsor Site"), any other Web site or other online point of presence on any platform, through which any products or services available on or through the Sponsor Site are described, syndicated, offered, merchandised or advertised, in Sponsor's sole discretion. Sponsor's decision to post an entry or any portion of an entry on any Sponsor Site does not mean that the selected entry has been drawn or confirmed as a winning entry.
- Two prize winners each will receive a prize package consisting of:
(a) Admission for winner into the 2016 Colorado Antiquarian Book Seminar to be held at Colorado College in Colorado Springs, CO, USA, from July 17, 2016 to July 22, 2016 (the "Book Seminar"). Admission includes all instructional materials, Sunday evening reception, Monday picnic, Friday farewell dinner, transportation to off-site sessions, and daily breaks (total approximate retail value ("ARV") U.S. $1,250.00); and
(b) 6 nights standard campus dormitory accommodations for the winner (single room, single occupancy) at the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs, including daily breakfast and lunch (total ARV U.S. $396.00.)
Any/all air and ground transportation to and from the Book Seminar is not included and will be each winner’s sole responsibility. The total ARV of each prize package is U.S. $1,646.00. The total ARV of all prizes is U.S. $3,292.00. If the actual value of the prize is less than the stated ARV, the difference will not be awarded in cash. Each prize package will be fulfilled by Antiquarian Book School Foundation. If you are selected as a potential prize winner, Antiquarian Book School Foundation will use the information you submit in connection with this Contest to fulfill the prize. All portions of the prize are subject to availability and change and are at our and Antiquarian Book School Foundation’s sole discretion. If a winner is unable to participate in the prize during the dates specified by Antiquarian Book School Foundation or us, the prize will be forfeited in its entirety. In the event that the Book Seminar does not or cannot take place as scheduled or at all, for reasons including but not limited to scheduling conflicts, cancellations, postponement, an event of force majeure, or for any other reason, each winner will receive cash or a check from Sponsor in the amount of the total ARV of the prize package (U.S. $1,646.00.)
- Each winner will be responsible for paying all costs and expenses related to the prize that are not specifically mentioned herein, including, but not limited to, transportation (including any airfare), taxes, withholdings, additional food and beverages, gratuities, incidentals, baggage costs, telephone calls, excursions, and any other expenses that might reasonably be incurred by winner in receiving or using the prize.
- The prizes will be awarded "AS IS" and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose).
- No substitution, transfer, or cash equivalent of prizes by any winner is permitted. Sponsor, at its sole discretion, may substitute a prize of equal or greater value. No greater number of prizes than the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules will be awarded.
- On or about May 5, 2016, at the offices of the Sponsor in Victoria, British Columbia two entrants will be selected by random draw from all eligible entries received during the Contest Period.
- Within two (2) days following the draw, the Sponsor will attempt to contact the selected entrants by e-mail at the e-mail address used to enter.
- Odds of being drawn depend on the number of eligible entries received throughout the Contest Period.
HOW TO WIN
- The winners will be the two entrants randomly selected by Sponsor who within seven (7) calendar days of notification after the draw: (a) correctly answer, unaided by any other person, computer or calculator, a mathematical, skill-testing question administered via e-mail (only if an eligible Canadian resident); and (b) otherwise comply with these Official Rules, including without limitation the requirements of Sections 24 and 25.
- Within seven (7) calendar days after the selected entrants correctly answer the skill-testing question (as applicable) the selected entrants must sign: (a) a declaration/affidavit of compliance with these Official Rules; (b) a declaration accepting the prize as awarded; (c) an irrevocable release and agreement to indemnify, defend and hold harmless each of the Contest Entities from and against any and all first party and third party losses, damages, claims, demands, actions, proceedings, liabilities, expenses, and costs (including without limitation reasonable legal fees and expenses) of any nature and kind whatsoever which they or any other person may suffer or incur arising out of, related to, or connected with the Contest and the prize; (d) an authorization for the Contest Entities to use the content of the entrant’s entry in relation to essays about rare books ; and (e) except where prohibited by law, an irrevocable consent to the announcement of their name and the use of their name, hometown and state or province of residence, photograph, likeness, image, biographical information, voice and statements by Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes world-wide using any form, media or technology now known or later developed without any further compensation to the selected entrant or any other person (collectively, "Declaration/Release").
- If a selected entrant does not respond to the prize notification e-mail within seven (7) calendar days, or the selected entrant does not timely comply with the requirements of Sections 24, 25, and 26 or otherwise fails to comply with these Official Rules, then in Sponsor's discretion the prize may be forfeited without any liability to the selected entrant or any other person, and another entrant may be selected by random draw in accordance with these Official Rules.
- By participating in the Contest, each entrant: (i) grants to the Sponsor the right to use his/her name, hometown, state or province of residence and e-mail address ("Personal Information") for the purpose of administering the Contest, including but not limited to contacting and announcing the winners and (ii) grants to the Sponsor the right to use his/her Personal Information (except for the e-mail address) for publicity and promotional purposes relating to the Contest, in any and all media, without further compensation.
- All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations are applicable. All taxes (including, but not limited to, income taxes and withholdings) are the sole responsibility of winners. Each winner may be required to submit his/her social security number or tax payer ID number to Sponsor in order to claim the prize.
- Return of prize, prize notification, Declaration/Release as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be selected. All entrants agree to comply fully with each provision in these Official Rules.
- Any person attempting to defraud or in any way tamper with the Contest and any person who does not comply with these Official Rules, will be ineligible for prizes and may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
- The Contest and all related matters are governed solely by the laws of British Columbia, Canada and applicable federal laws of Canada, excluding any rules of private international law or the conflict of laws which would lead to the application of any other laws. Any dispute between Sponsor and you or any other person arising from, connected with or relating to the Contest, the submission of entries to the Contest, participation in the Contest, the Contest prize, the use of Sponsor's Website (including the submission of entries), the use or misuse of entrants' personal information, or any related matters ("Disputes") must be resolved before the Courts of British Columbia sitting in the City of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, and you hereby irrevocably submit and attorn to the original and exclusive jurisdiction of those courts in respect of all Disputes. Proceedings regarding Disputes must be commenced in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada within six (6) months after the Dispute arose, after which time any and all proceedings regarding the Dispute are barred.
- Each entrant agrees that Contest Entities will have no liability, and will be held harmless by the entrant for any liability, loss, injury or damage to property or person, including death, and reasonable attorney’s fees and court costs, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of (i) acceptance/possession and/or use/misuse of prize(s) (including any travel/activity related thereto), (ii) participation in the Contest, (iii) individual, joint or collective technical malfunctions of the telephone network and/or transmission line, computer on-line system, computer dating mechanism, computer equipment, hardware and/or software, or (iv) any delay or distortion of an entry resulting from data transmissions that are garbled, incomplete, misdirected, lost, mutilated, delayed, corrupted, mechanically duplicated, illegible or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules, even if caused or contributed to by the negligence of any of the Contest Entities.
- Entrants also agree that the Contest Entities are not responsible or liable for any injury or damage to an entrant's or third person's computer related to or resulting from the Contest and/or its prizes. The Contest Entities are not liable for damage to a user's computer system (including, without limitation, any server failure or lost, delayed or corrupted data or other malfunction) due, either directly or indirectly, to an entrant's participation in the Contest or downloading of information in connection with the Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right to modify or cancel the Contest in the event that any portion of the web site becomes technically corrupted.
- All intellectual property rights in any trade-marks, trade names, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source code, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned by the Contest Entities and/or their affiliates are reserved and unauthorized reproduction or use is strictly prohibited.
- For an additional copy of these Official Rules or the winners’ names, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope, specifying which you are requesting, to: AbeBooks Inc. Suite 500 - 655 Tyee Road, Victoria, BC, V9A 6X5, Canada. Prize winners’ names will be available after May 6, 2016 and until September 6, 2016. Vermont residents may omit return postage with Official Rules or winner’s list requests.
© 2016 AbeBooks Inc.