2. Items Available For Sale
Many of our booksellers also offer other items and ephemera such as music, posters, and other collectible items. However, there are certain items that we do not permit to be sold on our Web sites. AbeBooks reserves the right to remove any listing at AbeBooks' discretion, including without limitation requests from rights holders and publications deemed defamatory or illegal. All booksellers must have the legal right and the ability to sell the items they list on the AbeBooks web sites.
a. Acceptable Listings
- Print on Demand listings are items that are not in printed form at the time of order. Print on Demand listings are permitted as long as the description clearly states, "This item is printed on demand." Booksellers must adjust the shipping matrix to represent printing and shipping times to accurately reflect the ultimate delivery speed. Print on Demand items must be listed with the current year as the publication date, not the original date of publication.
- Photocopies, scanned copies, or printed copies of digital content are permitted as long as they are free of copyright and in the public domain, or where the bookseller has received prior permission in writing from the copyright holder to reproduce the content. The bookseller must be able to provide proof of permission to AbeBooks upon request. The description must clearly state, "This is a photocopy." Or, "This is a scanned copy." Or, "This is a printed copy of digital content available at [name of source, (i.e. Wikipedia)]." All such listings must be listed with the current year as the publication date, or with the publication date left blank, not the original date of publication.
- Ebooks are permitted as long as they clearly state they are ebooks in the title and the description reads, "This is an ebook." Booksellers are permitted to have a 'Final Sale' policy on ebooks as long as the description includes, "This is an ebook. All sales final." Ebooks must be listed with the current year as the publication date, or with the publication date left blank, not with the original date of publication.
- International Editions are permitted for sale on the AbeBooks web site as long as they are clearly identified as such, with the statement, "This is an International Edition," (no abbreviations), in the book’s description field, but they may not be sold to customers in the United States or Canada unless the publisher has authorized such sales. Please note that the publishers of International Editions generally do not authorize the sale and distribution of International Editions in the United States and Canada, and such sale or distribution may violate the copyrights and trademarks of the publishers of such works. If an image of the cover of the book is provided, it must be the cover of the International Edition, and not the North American or any other edition. Teachers’ Editions, Study Guides, and Solutions Manuals must also be clearly identified within the description, and must be listed with the correct ISBN rather than the ISBN of the corresponding textbook.
- Audio books are permitted in CD and DVD format. The description should clearly state, "This is an audio book." All other DVDs and CDs are not permitted for sale on AbeBooks.
b. Multiple Listings
- Multiple items of the same or similar title shall only be listed as individual and separate listings when these items are shown to be materially different and are priced and described in a way to reflect these differences.
- Used Books: A bookseller shall only list a maximum of two (2) of the same used title.
- New Books: A bookseller shall only list a maximum of one (1) of the same new title. If multiple copies are available, sellers may list the title once and should use a quantity field.
- Booksellers shall not manipulate listings by price and / or description to display an unreasonable number of listings for a search result. Material differences and unreasonable numbers are defined at the sole discretion of AbeBooks.
c. Unacceptable Listings
- Items in violation of copyright laws
We consider any work produced in a tangible form of expression and associated with an original authorship to be covered by copyright laws and to be bound by the terms set out by the original owner or publisher. The original author, holder of copyright or the publisher determines the copyright.
- Unauthorized copies
Any item that has been pirated, illegally obtained or breaches terms and conditions set out by the original owner or publisher.
Bookseller may list photocopied material only if they hold the legal right to reproduce it or have obtained permission from the rights-holder.
Booksellers may not pre-list books that have not yet been made available to the public. AbeBooks may, from time to time, invite some booksellers to pre-list certain titles. This is at the sole discretion of AbeBooks.
- Banned Books
Specific books are banned from some or all of the AbeBooks European sites due to European laws. Some may still be listed on AbeBooks.com and/or AbeBooks.co.uk, however, there are others that cannot be offered regardless of domain.
- Non-books, non-ephemera items
Any item not included in Acceptable Listings, as defined above.
Booksellers shall not manipulate listings by price and/or description to display an unreasonable number of listings for a search result. Material differences and unreasonable numbers are defined at the sole discretion of AbeBooks.
AbeBooks will review all complaints received about unacceptable listings and, when necessary, will obtain information to validate a complainant’s claim of ownership or publishing rights. Booksellers found to be listing items deemed unacceptable will be subject to the following actions:
- AbeBooks will request the item be removed.
- Failure to remove the item may result in AbeBooks' removal of the listing on the seller’s behalf.
- Continued violation of AbeBooks’ unacceptable listings policy may result in suspension or permanent closure of the bookseller's account.