"Men and Gods Contest'" OFFICIAL RULES
1. The "Men and Gods Contest " (the "Contest") is offered by AbeBooks Inc., 500 – 655 Tyee Road, Victoria, BC CANADA, V9A 6X5 ("Sponsor").
2. No purchase or payment is necessary in order to participate in the Contest.
3. Only legal residents of the United States of America (excluding its territories and possessions) or Canada (excluding Quebec), at least 13 years of age, who reside in and who are physically located in the United States of America (excluding its territories and possessions) or Canada (excluding Quebec) as of January 1, 2008 are eligible to enter the Contest. The Contest is void in Puerto Rico and where restricted or prohibited.
4. Employees, agents or officers of AbeBooks Inc. or of any entity involved in the development, production, implementation and distribution of the Contest, including any advertising or promotion agency, supplier of prizes for the Contest, parent company, service provider, subsidiary or affiliate of any such entity or any other entity directly associated with the Contest (hereinafter the "Contest Entities") or any member of the immediate family of and/or person living in the same household as such persons, are ineligible to enter the Contest.
HOW TO ENTER
5. Enter online at http://www.AbeBooks.com/docs/Contest/AvidReader/men-and-gods-contest.shtml. Complete the information requested on the entry form and then transmit the entry form by clicking on the "Submit" button.
6. Information required on the entry form consists of the answer to the contest question, name, e-mail address, city and country.
7. If you are between 13 and 20 years of age (between 13 and 18 in Canada), inclusive, you may not enter unless you have first obtained your parent or guardian's permission.
8. All entries must be received before February 10, 2008 at 9:59am PST. (The period during which the Contest will take place is referred to below as the "Contest Period"). All entries become the property of the sponsors and will not be acknowledged or returned.
9. Limit of three entries per person and per e-mail account.
10. If there is a dispute over the identity of an entrant whose entry was submitted through email, the entrant will be deemed to be the authorized holder of the email address as determined by the organization responsible for administering the submitted email address. If multiple entries are submitted by the same entrant, only the first entry submitted by that entrant will qualify for entry in the Contest; subsequent entries submitted by that entrant shall be disqualified.
11. One grand prize winner will receive one copy of: Men and Gods: Myths and Legends of the Ancient Greeks by Rex Murphy. The prize is provided by [AbeBooks Inc.] and carries a retail value of USD$16.95.
12. No substitution, transfer, or cash equivalent of prizes by any winner is permitted. Sponsor, at its sole discretion, may substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
13. A random draw will be made on or about February 10, 2008 from all eligible entries received before the end of the Contest Period.
14. Following the draw, the Sponsor will attempt to contact the selected entrant by e-mail at the e-mail address provided in their entry form.
15. Odds of being selected depend on the number of eligible entries received.
HOW TO WIN
16. The winner will be the one whose name is selected at random from eligible entries and who within seven (7) calendar days after the draw: (a) correctly answers, unaided by any other person, computer or calculator, a mathematical, skill-testing question administered via e-mail; and (b) otherwise complies with these Official Rules.
17. The selected entrant must comply with the requirements of Section 16 and within seven (7) calendar days after the selected entrant correctly answers the skill-testing question the selected entrant (and/or parent(s) or guardian(s) of prize winners under 21, or 19 in Canada) must sign: (a) a declaration/affidavit of compliance with these Official Rules; (b) a declaration accepting the prize as awarded; (c) an irrevocable release and agreement to indemnify, defend and hold harmless each of the Contest Entities from and against any and all first party and third party losses, damages, claims, demands, actions, proceedings, liabilities, expenses, and costs (including without limitation reasonable legal fees and expenses) of any nature and kind whatsoever which they or any other person may suffer or incur arising out of, related to, or connected with the Contest and the prize; and (d) except where prohibited by law, an irrevocable consent to the announcement of their names and the use of their name, address, photograph, likeness, biographical information, voice and statements by AbeBooks Inc. for advertising and promotional purposes world-wide using any form, media or technology now known or later developed without any further compensation to the selected entrant or any other person (collectively, "Declaration/Release").
18. If a selected entrant does not respond to the prize notification email within seven (7) calendar days, or the selected entrant does not timely comply with the requirements of Sections 16, 17 and 18 or otherwise fails to comply with these Official Rules, then in Sponsor's discretion the prize may be forfeited without any liability to the selected entrant or any other person, and another entrant may be selected by random draw in accordance with these Official Rules.
19. All federal, state, provincial, and local laws and regulations are applicable. All taxes (including, but not limited to, income taxes) are the sole responsibility of winners. Return of prize, prize notification, Declaration/Release as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be selected. All entrants agree to comply fully with each provision in these Official Rules.
20. Any person attempting to defraud or in any way tamper with the Contest and any person who does not comply with these Official Rules, will be ineligible for prizes and may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
21. The Contest and all related matters are governed solely by the laws of British Columbia, Canada and applicable federal laws of Canada, excluding any rules of private international law or the conflict of laws which would lead to the application of any other laws. Any dispute between AbeBooks and you or any other person arising from, connected with or relating to the Contest, the submission of entries to the Contest, participation in the Contest, the Contest prize, the use of AbeBooks' Website (including the submission of entries), the use or misuse of entrants' personal information, or any related matters ("Disputes") must be resolved before the Courts of British Columbia sitting in the City of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, and you hereby irrevocably submit and attorn to the original and exclusive jurisdiction of those courts in respect of all Disputes. Proceedings regarding Disputes must be commenced in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada within six (6) months after the Dispute arose, after which time any and all proceedings regarding the Dispute are barred.
22. Entrants agree that Contest Entities shall not be liable for losses or injuries of any kind resulting from: (i) acceptance/possession and/or use/misuse of prize(s), (ii) participation in the Contest, (iii) individual, joint or collective technical malfunctions of the telephone network and/or transmission line, computer on-line system, computer dating mechanism, computer equipment, hardware and/or software, or (iv) any delay or distortion of an entry resulting from data transmissions that are garbled, incomplete, misdirected, lost, mutilated, delayed, corrupted, mechanically duplicated, illegible or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules. Entrants also agree that the Contest Entities are not responsible or liable for any injury or damage to an entrant's or third person's computer related to or resulting from the Contest and/or its prizes. The Contest Entities are not liable for damage to a user's computer system (including, without limitation, any server failure or lost, delayed or corrupted data or other malfunction) due, either directly or indirectly, to an entrant's participation in the Contest or downloading of information in connection with the Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right to modify or cancel the Contest in the event that any portion of the web site becomes technically corrupted.
23. For an additional copy of these Official Rules or the winner's name, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope, specifying which you are requesting, to: AbeBooks Inc. Suite 500 - 655, Tyee Road, Victoria, BC, V9A 6X5, Canada. Prizewinner's name will be available after February 20, 2008.
© 2008 AbeBooks Inc.