For courses in which the focus is on language arts/writing or the teaching of writing. Accessible and reader-friendly, this is the definitive text on teaching writing to children in grades K-8, the only title on the market to thoroughly address both the process and the product of writing. The author covers strategies for teaching prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing through writing workshop, literature focus units, and thematic units; techniques for helping children develop ideas, organize writing, choose vocabulary, apply stylistic devices, and correct mechanical errors; and five levels of scaffolded composition instruction: modeled, shared, interactive, guided, and independent writing. Numerous authentic children's writing samples are interspersed throughout the material, along with the author's well-respected minilessons and thoughtful discussion of performance-based tools for assessment.
An expanded, reorganized edition of this excellent text for writing methods courses...one that advocates a process approach to writing, focusing on strategies that will help children in Grades K-8 use the writing process to develop and improve their writing skills while they improve their writing products. The text now begins with an introductory chapter that provides an overview of the five cyclical, recursive stages of the writing process-- prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and sharing--along with practical instructional tips and techniques for each stage. Individual chapters then examine all major types of writing...through a practical, straightforward presentation which includes a wealth of children's actual writing samples that really help to bring the "writing process" to life.
From the Publisher
Teaching Writing: Balancing Process and Product continues to be the definitive book on how to teach writing in grades K-8, as it is the only text with comprehensive coverage of both process and product.
- NEW! Teacher's Notes: Supporting Struggling Writers are special features that help teachers adapt chapter content specifically for struggling students.
- NEW! Teacher's Notes: Assisting English Language Learners point out the best ways for teachers to support these student writers.
- Vignettes open every chapter to illustrate how real teachers have used the chapter content in their elementary classrooms.
- Minilessons in every chapter model skills and strategies instruction for use in the classroom.
- NEW! Instructional Previews help ground readers in chapter content, best addressing the question of what to teach and when.
- Step-by-Step features clearly illustrate instructional procedures.
- Rubrics throughout chapters help readers address and clarify assessment issues.
- NEW! A Descriptive Writing chapter addresses descriptive writing as a specific genre as well as an essential component of narrative writing, poetic writing, and other genres.
From the Back Cover