Editorial Reviews for this title:
For content area reading and literacy development in middle and high school courses. Through this strategy-driven, theory-based text, content-area teachers gain a thorough understanding of the fundamental role that reading and writing play in content-area learning. Unique to this text is the attention paid to helping teachers understand how the high school cultures students belong to affect their view of literacy and learning. The author effectively guides readers to ways they can identify and address school cultures and make literacy in content learning, relevant to students. The author offers step-by-step approaches to gauge student literacy, build vocabulary, and implement instruction that improves comprehension, encourages critical reading, supports writing for learning, and facilitates collaboration for literacy development.
This theory-based, strategy-driven approach to teaching content area and secondary reading keeps an eye on the cultural issues affecting secondary students while emphasizing reflective practice to promote the most effective teaching. Chapters on assessment, motivation, struggling readers, aligning standards with strategies and assessment, and a constant focus on diversity set this text apart. Frequent opportunities for readers to apply the concepts they are learning help to make this a truly informative text. SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
- Step-by-Step features, which precisely explain a strategy's implementation.
- Plenty of simple and effective strategies for assessing and addressing students` reading capabilities.
- A strong focus on standards that shows beginning teachers how to integrate literacy goals with content standards.
- An abundance of student work samples to fully illustrate chapter concepts, strategies, and effective teaching.
- A Companion Wesite, available at www.prenhall.com/unrau, containing self-assessments, web links, and classroom video footage to round out content comprehension.
From the Back Cover
Editorial reviews may belong to another edition of this title.