This superbly varied collection offers more than 400 pieces of music from the Baroque period to the present. Selected by Thomas Benjamin, Michael Horvit, and Robert Nelson--three nationally respected composers and music theory teachers--the selections enable students to analyze a wide variety of genres, styles, textures, and composers that illustrate standard usage and idiomatic procedures. Featuring both excerpts and many complete pieces, Music for Analysis, Sixth Edition, is the perfect vehicle for analysis of style, musical idiom, small forms, tonal harmony, and contemporary techniques. "Questions for Analysis" in each unit provide pointed, perceptive guidance throughout the book. A detailed checklist and model analysis in Appendix A provide a useful summary for students who are learning to analyze music.
Features of the Sixth Edition:
* Includes a free audio CD of more than 140 examples from the text played on the piano, harpsichord, or organ by Dr. Rosilee Walker Russell, Artist-in-Residence at the University of Arkansas - Fort Smith
* In addition to the complete pieces included from the previous edition, the authors have added several new complete works, including "Gavea" by Darius Milhaud and a complete Mozart sonata
* Integrates many new model analyses into the body of the text, helping students to achieve a comprehensive analysis of the music
* Includes contrapuntal examples from composers other than Bach
* Provides precise measure numbers for all excerpts from larger pieces
* Adds an index of all complete pieces (supplementing the index of composers and making selections easier to find)
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Thomas Benjamin is at Johns Hopkins University (Emeritus). Michael Horvit is at University of Houston.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA. Plastic Comb. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0195188152
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97801951881581.0