Biochemistry: The Molecular Basis of Life is the ideal text for students who do not specialize in biochemistry but who require a strong grasp of biochemical principles. The goal of this edition has been to enrich the coverage of chemistry while better highlighting the biological context. Once concepts and problem-solving skills have been mastered, students are prepared to tackle the complexities of science, modern life, and their chosen professions.
NEW! Online Homework System from Sapling Learning.
Oxford University Press has partnered with Sapling Learning to produce an online homework and instructional solution for the McKee & McKee Biochemistry: The Molecular Basis of Life textbook. The text that presents the coverage you need with the relevance your students want is now available with the most powerful online homework system in the industry.
The relationship between Oxford University Press and Sapling Learning is based on:
*Creating the highest-quality content
*Providing unparalleled customer service to you and your students
*Offering the McKee/Sapling Learning package at the most affordable price
Visit http://www.saplinglearning.com/partners/partner_page_oxford.php to learn more about Sapling Learning and how pairing this incredible system with McKee & McKee's Biochemistry: The Molecular Basis of Life will help improve your instruction and your students' learning.
UNMATCHED PRICES AND PACKAGING OPTIONS:
**Text packaged with FREE Student Study Guide and Solutions Manual - 9780199837571 - $154.95
**Text packaged with Sapling Online Homework at 50% off, Student Study Guide and Solutions Manual at 50% off - 9780199829606 - $164.00
**Text packaged with Hardin's Biochemistry: Essential Concepts at 50% off - 9780199930289 - $169.00
**Text packaged with Hardin's Biochemistry: Essential Concepts and Sapling Online Homework, both at 50% off - 9780199930272 - $184.00
*A Review of Basic Principles. To ensure that all students are sufficiently prepared for acquiring a meaningful understanding of biochemistry, the first four chapters - now streamlined for easier coverage and self-study assignment - review the principles of relevant topics such as organic functional groups, noncovalent bonding, thermodynamics, and cell structure.
*Chemical and Biological Principles in Balance. Comprehensive coverage offers the flexibility for each instructor to decide how much chemistry or biology to present. Chemical mechanisms are always presented within the physiological context of the organism.
*Real-World Relevance. Because students who take the survey of biochemistry course come from a range of backgrounds and have diverse career goals, the fifth edition consistently demonstrates the fascinating connections between biochemical principles and the fields of medicine, nutrition, agriculture, bioengineering, and forensics.
*The most robust Problem-Solving Program available.
· In-chapter "Worked Problems" illustrate how quantitative problems are solved and provide students with opportunities to put their knowledge into action right when new concepts are introduced. Dozens of "Questions" are interspersed throughout the chapters, getting students critically thinking about high-interest topics. Finally, hundreds of multiple-choice and short-answer questions at the end of the chapters test students' knowledge, develop their conceptual understanding, and encourage them to apply what they have learned.
*Simple, Clear Illustrations. Biochemical concepts often require a high degree of visualization, and the McKee & McKee art program brings complex processes to life. Over 700 full-color figures, many newly enhanced for a more vivid presentation in three dimensions and consistent scale and color for chemical structures.
*Currency. The fifth edition has been extensively updated with recent developments in the field, while remaining focused on the "big-picture" principles that are the focus of the one-term biochemistry course.
New to this Edition
* Chapter-opening Vignettes, an all-new feature of the fifth edition, give biological motivation. These 19 essays include the nature and diversity of life, the ocean's dark secret life, spider silk, humans and enzymes, sweet and bitter taste in diet, metabolism and jet engines, evolution as chance and necessity, oxygen's molecular paradox, global warming and renewable energy, the Gulf dead zone, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's, hypertension and uric acid, what makes us human, the medical mystery of DNA and chimeras, and the superbug MRSA
* New "Biochemistry in Perspective" boxes (9 new in all), each with an opening question and concluding summary, show students the real-world relevance of the biochemical processes they are studying. The fifth edition includes new essays on cell regulation and metabolism, protein folding and human disease, quantum tunneling and catalysis, wine production, turbo design dangers, myocardial infarct, the hormone cascade system, and trapped ribosomes
* New "Biochemistry in the Lab" boxes on protein sequence analysis and glycomics
*Increase in chemical coverage with increased emphasis on mechanisms
*Enhanced coverage of cutting-edge topics including RNAi, epigenetics and the epigenome, macromolecular crowding, GLUT transporters, systems biology, and the contribution of dietary fructose to the current epidemics of obesity and type II diabetes
* In-Chapter "Key Concept" lists (more than 100 bulleted summaries with icons), plus more than 100 icons for biomedical applications with new labels identifying the application. Other icons point to JMOL visualization software.
* 20% more end-of-chapter review and thought questions test knowledge, develop conceptual understanding, and encourage students to apply what they have learned
* Updated coverage of coenzymes, viruses, and biotechnology
* Extended coverage of amino acids, proteins, enzymes, carbohydrates, nucleic acids, and genetic information--the basic building blocks--and trimmed down coverage of metabolism (especially nitrogen metabolism)
*The entire text is now tied to NEW Sapling Learning online homework system! Oxford University Press has partnered with Sapling Learning to produce an online homework and instructional solution for Biochemistry: The Molecular Basis of Life textbook. The text that presents the coverage you need with the relevance your students want is now available with the most powerful online homework system in the industry.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Trudy McKee is a biochemist, who taught Biochemistry at Thomas Jefferson University, Rosemont College, and Immaculata College. James McKee is an Associate Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, PA.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Book Condition: New. Brand New International Edition, Perfect Condition. Printed in English. Excellent Quality, Service and customer satisfaction guaranteed!. Bookseller Inventory # USAND-32310
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. New. Soft Cover International edition. Different ISBN and Cover image but contents are same as US edition. Customer Satisfaction guaranteed!!. Bookseller Inventory # SHUB53796
Book Description Book Condition: New. New. Soft Cover International edition. Different ISBN and Cover image but contents are same as US edition.Perfect condition. Ship by express service to USA, Canada, Australia, France, Italy, UK, Germany and Netherland. Customer satisfaction our priority. Bookseller Inventory # ABE-010412-53796
Book Description Book Condition: New. Brand New International Edition.We Ship to PO BOX Address also. EXPEDITED shipping option also available for faster delivery. Bookseller Inventory # 20150609-32310
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. 5TH. This is an International Edition,Different ISBN And Front Cover,Have Same Content As US Edition Excellent Quality With Shrink Wrap . English Language . Perfect Condition. Please Contact us For Any Questions Regarding This Book.!!. Bookseller Inventory # SepTbz-8953
Book Description Cary, NC, U.S.A.: Oxford University Press, Incorporated, 2011. Soft cover. Book Condition: New. Absolutely Brand New Textbook. This is an International Edition Textbook. Fast shipping , 3-5 business days Delivery to US and Canada, 4-6 days delivery to EU and Asia countries via express service. Ship from Multiple Locations, including US, EU, ASIA for inventory purpose. We do not ship to PO/FPO/APO address. Printed in USA with High Quality Paper (not Indian edition due to B/W printing and poor quality paper). Book is printed in English, as the US edition. If US edition printed in color, our book printed in color too! Most international edition has different ISBN and Cover design. Occasionally. international textbooks may come with different exercises at the end of chapters. Some book may show some sales disclaimer word such as "Not for Sale or Restricted in US" on the cover page but it is absolutely legal to use in USA. Bookseller Inventory # 13f219780199920464
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2011. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Instructor's Edition: Same content as Student Editon with the addition of notes or answers. May say Not For Resale. Bookseller Inventory # mon0000395928
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2011. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Instructor's Edition: Same content as Student Editon with the addition of notes or answers. May say Not For Resale. Bookseller Inventory # mon0000392542
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 2011. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 5. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0199730849
Book Description Hardcover. Book Condition: 11. Still wrapped,some shelf wear.(I-I)N-30¿U/N. Bookseller Inventory # sku-s-00000216