Human Communication in Society (2nd Edition)
ISBN 10: 0205650805 / 0-205-65080-5
ISBN 13: 9780205650804
Publication Date: 2009
Editorial Reviews for this title:
Human Communication in Society is the only book to explore the interplay between the individual and society and its impact communication. Alberts, Nakayama, and Martin wrote Human Communication in Society to bring a comprehensive, balanced view to the study of human communication. By understanding how the tensions that exist among individual forces, societal forces, cultures, and context shape communication and meaning, readers become more ethical and effective communicators.
Key features with this title include:
- Presents a framework that illustrates the interplay between the individual and societal forces that influence all human interaction, exploring important societal influences such as socioeconomic class, culture and power on everyday interactions.
- Includes unique coverage of: the field of rhetoric (Ch. 11), a part from public speaking instruction (Ch. 14), as well as Computer Mediated Communication (Ch. 13), separate from the coverage of Mass Communication in (Ch. 12).
- Addresses ethical issues in communication with a discussion of relevant ethical issues at the end of each chapter.
- Offers Alternative Views of research findings that contradict conventional wisdom, allowing readers to make their own informed judgments after examining both sides of an issue.
- Provides grounding in communication theory through the the author team’s varied expertise. Numerous tools throughout the book help readers grasp the sometimes overwhelming and complicated theories integral to the study of communication. These tools include course objectives, integrated visual summaries detailing difficult concepts, a running glossary of key terms, and thorough end of chapter review material.
- Offers application of communication theories, which provide readers with a connection to important communication concepts.
- Includes an “Improving Your Communication” feature that offers practical guidelines for applying chapter material to everyday communication.
- Highly-visual format with more photographs than any book in this introductory market, including eighteen Visual Summaries that serve as visual study tools for the reader.
From the Back Cover
Editorial reviews may belong to another edition of this title.