Clinical Nursing Skills and Techniques
ISBN 10: 032302839X / 0-323-02839-X
ISBN 13: 9780323028394
Publication Date: 2005
Editorial Reviews for this title:
This market-leading text is well known for its reliable, comprehensive coverage of over 200 complete skills. Heavily illustrated, each skill follows the nursing process framework and is presented in an easy-to-follow, two-column format with rationales for each step. This edition retains such popular features as guidelines at the beginning of each chapter, delegation principles for each skill, special considerations for various age groups and care settings, and unexpected outcomes with related nursing interventions. Plus, expanded coverage of cultural and pediatric considerations, new skills, and new features make this edition better than ever!
- Comprehensive coverage of over 200 basic, intermediate, and advanced skills.
- Nursing process framework provides a logical, consistent presentation.
- Over 1,100 vivid, full-color photographs and drawings aid understanding.
- Rationales for each step in the skill explain why steps are performed in a specific way.
- Delegation Principles for each skill discuss the nurse's responsibilities when assigning tasks to assistive personnel.
- UNIQUE! Critical Decision Points address key information to consider when performing skills to ensure effective outcomes and promote safety.
- Skill Performance Guidelines at the beginning of each chapter provide guidelines applicable to all skills in the chapter.
- Expected outcomes identify the anticipated client response to the procedure.
- Reporting and recording guidelines in each skill include what to document and examples of how to word it.
- Considerations for client teaching, pediatric, geriatric, long-term care, and home care address specific needs.
- Critical thinking exercises at the end of each chapter promote development of decision-making abilities.
- New skills and procedural guidelines include: communicating with the depressed client; fire, electrical, and radiation safety; local analgesic infusion pump; supporting clients and families in grief; symptom management in palliative care; care of clients with immobilization devices; selection of support surface/mattress (Procedural Guideline); eye irrigation; noninvasive automatic BP; wound vacuum assisted closure; measuring occult blood in gastric secretions; and use of the automatic external defibrillator (AED).
- A new Disaster Preparedness chapter and added coverage of code management address current practice issues.
- Pediatric variations and considerations covered in greater depth.
- Cultural Implications sections focus on providing culturally-sensitive care.
- Evidence-Based Practice Trends at the beginning of each chapter provide an overview of recent research findings and implications for skills included in the chapter.
- Focus on Clinical Practice at the end of each chapter presents case scenarios and critical thinking questions that address issues involving topics that include unexpected outcomes and cultural considerations.
- Two-column format for Unexpected Outcomes and Related Interventions presents information in an easy-to-follow format.
Step-by-step guidance for every nursing skill students need to master
Editorial reviews may belong to another edition of this title.