Editorial Reviews for this title:
Interesting, clear, and applied, BUSINESS LAW TODAY: THE ESSENTIALS is your concise guide to the law and what it means in the business world--from contracts and secured transactions to warranties and government regulations. Easy to understand with an engaging writing style that is matched by vibrant visuals, BUSINESS LAW TODAY includes coverage of contemporary topics that impact not only the business world, but your life such as identity theft. Fascinating features and intriguing cases highlight the material's practicality. The text's companion website includes resources to help you study, such as sample answers to the end-of-chapter case problem features; Internet exercises; and interactive quizzes for every chapter.
About This Edition
From the Publisher
- "Linking the Law": These special features appear in selected chapters to underscore how the law relates to various other disciplines in the business school curriculum, providing vital and practical information to users on how the subjects they study are interconnected. These features conclude with a "For Critical Analysis" section to reinforce the text's emphasis on critical thinking skills.
- New Highlighted and Numbered Case Examples: To provide more case examples to illustrate legal concepts, numbered "Case Examples" are integrated throughout the text along with the numbered hypothetical "Examples."
- New Chapter on Cyber Crime: Cyber Crime is becoming an increasingly critical problem for businesses today. Chapter 7, "Cyber Crime," addresses the enormous problem of identity theft, computer crimes, and the debate over the extent of Internet Service Providers' immunity for Web content.
- ExamPrep: Each chapter concludes with an "ExamPrep" section that includes:
- "Issue Spotters," so users can check their comprehension of some of the legal concepts covered in the chapter (answers are available on the companion website)
- A reference to the Online Quizzes for use in preparing for quizzes and exams
- Chapter Review: The "Reviewing..." feature that concludes each chapter helps users solidify their understanding of the chapter material. Also, to help users grasp some of the more difficult legal topics, "Concept Summaries" are integrated throughout the text.
- Case Treatment: Summarized cases facilitate understanding. Special emphasis is given to "Classic Cases," and they include a "Comment" section that stresses how important the court's decision has been to the evolution of the law in that area. Each case concludes with a special feature such as "Why is This Case Important in Business?"--to draw attention to how the legal concept impacts business--or "Impact of This Case on Today's Law," which explains why the case is still relevant for businesspersons today.
- Global Perspective: "Beyond Our Border" sections are included in select chapters and cover a broad array of topics that relate to the international business environment in more depth.
- Application Rich: Found in approximately half of the chapters, "Applications" offers practical advice on ways to navigate the legal waters of the business environment. Each "Application" concludes with a checklist on how to avoid legal problems. Also included in many of the chapters, "Landmark in the Law" explores a landmark case, statute, or other law that has had a significant impact on business law. It concludes with a section titled "Application to Today's World" that clarifies why the case is important to business today. "Preventing Legal Disputes," which are integrated throughout the text, provide practical guidance for businesspersons.
- Ethical Issues: Integrated throughout the text, these features address ethical dilemmas related to the chapter topic. Included at the end of the chapter, "A Question of Ethics" questions ask users to look at both the legal and ethical issues revolving around hypothetical situations. In addition, the ethics chapter is completely revised and covers Investment Banking, AIG, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and the stock buybacks in 2008.
- Critical Thinking: "Critical Thinking" questions conclude the in-text features. Select cases include "What If the Facts Were Different?", a section that asks users how the decision might be different for an alternate fact pattern. "For Critical Analysis" questions require the users to think critically about a topic discussed in the chapter. The end-of-chapter problem material in select chapters includes a "Critical Thinking and Writing Assignment for Business," which presents an issue in a business setting and requires users to write an answer that addresses a number of points.
Explore this title's supplements:
Study Guide for "Business Law Today: The Essentials" (Ninth Edition)
Student Guide to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (Second Edition)
Further reference for this edition:
Download a complete list of the cases and features in Business Law Today: Essentials (Ninth Edition).
Editorial reviews may belong to another edition of this title.