Editorial Reviews for this title:
This leading mathematics text for elementary and middle school educators helps you quickly develop a true understanding of mathematical concepts. It integrates rich problem-solving strategies with relevant topics and extensive opportunities for hands-on experience. By progressing from the concrete to the pictorial to the abstract, Musser captures the way math is generally taught in elementary schools.
This title will give you all the essentials mathematics teachers need for teaching at the elementary and middle school levels:
- Highlights algebraic concepts throughout the text and includes additional supporting information.
- Provides enhanced coverage of order of operations, Z-scores, union of two events, Least Common Multiple, and Greatest Common Factor.
- Focuses on solid mathematical content in an accessible and appealing way.
- Offers the largest collection of problems (over 3,000!), worked examples, and problem-solving strategies in any text of its kind.
- Includes a comprehensive, five-chapter treatment of geometry based on the van Hiele model.
This leading text covers all the essential mathematics students need for teaching at the elementary and middle school levels. Among its key strengths are its richness in problem- solving strategies, integrity and flow of mathematics, relevance of topics and extensive pedagogy and problem sets. Unlike similar texts that follow a typical "math majors progression," this text follows the progression of elementary school math curricula considered more suitable for elementary teachers. Another noteworthy feature is the text's emphasis on the NCTM standards; not only does it incorporate the standards in problem sets and discussion, it teaches students the relevance of the standards and how they reflect current research in mathematics.
From the Publisher
When you truly understand mathematical concepts, it's like magic...
This book was written to help you increase your mathematical knowledge and confidence, and appreciate the beauty and excitement of the mathematical world. With this Seventh Edition of Musser, Burger, and Peterson's best-selling textbook and its accompanying ancillaries, you can develop a deep understanding of concepts central to elementary mathematics as well as experience the magic of mathematics.
Enhance you understanding with these resources:
- New! Student Activity Manual (0-471-70119-X)- This three-hole punched collection of activities is designed to enhance you studies and help you model effective classroom practices.
- New! State Correlation Guidebooks: These 35-page pamphlets will help you prepare for state licensing exams. The guidebooks provide a detailed correlation between the textbook and state standards for the following states:
California (ISBN: 0-471-70103-3)
Illinois (ISBN: 0-471-70106 -8)
New York (ISBN: 0-471-70116-5)
Virginia (ISBN: 0-471-70118-1)
Florida (ISBN: 0-471-70104-1)
Texas (ISBN: 0-471-70117-3)
Michigan (ISBN: 0-471-70115-7)
- Hints and Solutions Manual for Part A Problems (ISBN: 0-471-70109-2)- This book contains carefully written step-by-step solutions and hints to help you develop problem-solving proficiency in a self-study mode.
- Companion Website (www.wiley.com/college/musser)- This site contains a wealth of resources, including the new Algebraic Reasoning Webmodule, update eManipulative Activites, the Guide to Problem Solving, Geometer's Sketchpad® Activities and Tutorial, Spreadsheet Activities and Tutorial, Children's Literature Tutorial, and Links to NCTM Standards.
From the Back Cover
Editorial reviews may belong to another edition of this title.