Editorial Reviews for this title:
Includes 80 full-color pages addressing the important issue of color in typographic design.
* New case studies showcase design for Web sites, CD-ROMs, and environmental graphics in addition to the existing case studies which detail examples of visual identification systems, book and magazine design, film and video text, and wayfinding graphics, along with outlines for analysis and solutions.
* Revised technology section emphasizes current digital type technology.
* Five new typefaces are included in the type specimens chapter.
* New information is included on legibility and the Internet.
This new edition of the premier reference on typographic design provides a comprehensive overview of every aspect of designing with type, from the basic terms and classifications to contemporary digital typesetting technology.
Fully revised and updated to reflect new techno-logical developments and emerging design trends, Typographic Design: Form and Communication, Third Edition offers detailed coverage of such essential topics as the anatomy of letters and type families, visual communications and design esthetics, and designing for legibility. More than 600 full-color, halftone, and line images clarify typographic fundamentals and convey a keen understanding of designing with type.
Theoretical and structural problem-solving approaches by leading design educators from across the United States reveal underlying concepts about typographic form and message. There are four pictorial timelines showing the evolution of typography and writing within the context of world events-from the origins of writing more than 5,000 years ago to contemporary website and electronic page design.
Important new features in this new edition include:
* 80 full-color pages that address the use of color in typographic design
* New case studies on specific typographic design problems for website, CD-ROM, and environmental graphics
* New example projects assigned by prominent design educators
* An emphasis on innovations in digital type technology
* New typeface specimens that present outstanding digital fonts
* New information on legibility and the Internet
From the Back Cover
Editorial reviews may belong to another edition of this title.