ISBN 10: 0547125321 / 0-547-12532-1
ISBN 13: 9780547125329
Publisher: Cengage Learning
Publication Date: 2008
Editorial Reviews for this title:
CHEMISTRY allows the reader to learn chemistry basics quickly and easily by emphasizing a thoughtful approach built on problem solving. For the Eighth Edition, authors Steven and Susan Zumdahl have extended this approach by emphasizing problem-solving strategies within the Examples and throughout the text narrative. CHEMISTRY speaks directly to the reader about how to approach and solve chemical problems--to learn to think like a chemist--so that they can apply the process of problem-solving to all aspects of their lives.
Compare Different Versions and Related Products
| || || || |
| Chemistry || OWL with eBook (6 months) || OWL with eBook (24 months) || Study Guide |
| || Instant Access Code for Zumdahl/Decoste's Introductory Chemistry || Instant Access Code for Zumdahl/Decoste's Introductory Chemistry || Zumdahl/Zumdahl's Chemistry, 8th |
| || Publisher || Cengage Learning || Cengage Learning || Cengage Learning || Cengage Learning |
| || ISBN || 0547125321 || Not Applicable || Not Applicable || 0547168721 |
| || Included Product(s) || Physical Book || eBook, Instant Access Code || eBook, Instant Access Code || Study Guide |
About This Edition
From the Publisher
- New "Problem-Solving Strategy" boxes focus the user's attention on the very important process of problem solving, helping them learn to think like chemists.
- "Chapter 3: Stoichiometry" contains a new section: "Learning to Solve Problems." This new section enables users to understand that thinking their way through a problem produces long-term and meaningful learning, rather than simply memorizing steps which are often quickly forgotten.
- This edition introduces a series of questions into the "Examples" sections of Chapters 3 through 6 to again engage the users in the process of problem solving. This more active approach helps users think their way through the solution to the problem.
- "Chapter 4: Types of Chemical Reactions and Solution Stoichiometry" now gives a more qualitative and intuitive method for balancing oxidation reduction equations that is based on oxidation states. The "half-reaction method for balancing oxidation-reduction reactions" was moved to "Chapter 18: Electrochemistry" in order to cover the more complicated equations later in the text.
- In order to make Chapter 15 more manageable for users, the authors have split this chapter in two: "Chapter 15: Acid-Base Equilibrium" and "Chapter 16: Solubility and Complex Ion Equilibrium."
- The program's step-by-step approach helps users master chemistry concepts more efficiently by using examples in the text paired with worked-out solutions. In addition, CHEMISTRY includes Margin Notes that provide problem-solving tips and reminders, Step boxes that highlight the main concepts in a section, and a range of end-of-chapter questions. Question formats consist of Discussion Questions, Exercises, integrative Challenge Problems, and comprehensive Marathon Problems that can be assigned for extra credit.
- Chemistry's unique organization covers equilibria and acid-base chemistry early, and delays coverage of atomic theory and bonding until the second half of the text. The text includes sections on "Exact Treatment of Buffered Solutions" (Chapter 8), "Adiabatic Processes" (Chapter 10), and "Molecular, Rotational, Vibrational, Electronic, and Nuclear Magnetic Spectroscopy" (Chapter 14). These sections provide more depth at a slightly more rigorous level.
- All of the mathematical operations required for this text are conveniently described in an Appendix or are illustrated in worked-out examples. Knowledge of calculus is not required. Differential and integral notations, used only where absolutely necessary, are accompanied by explanations.
- End-of-chapter problems called "Connecting to Biochemistry" highlight organic and biological applications. Their structure allows instructors to quickly locate material that will be of particular interest to users in pre-medicine, biology, and other health-related fields.
Explore this title's supplements:
Study Guide for Zumdahl and Zumdahl's "Chemistry" (Eighth Edition)
Student Solutions Guide for Zumdahl and Zumdahl's "Chemistry" (Eighth Edition)
Preparing for the AP Chemistry Examination (Keyed to Zumdahl and Zumdahl's Chemistry (Eighth Edition))
Further reference for this edition:
Download the Transition Guide to the eighth edition of Chemistry.
Editorial reviews may belong to another edition of this title.
Chemistry (Hardback) (ISBN: 9780547125329)
Zumdahl, Steven S.;Zumdahl, Susan A.
Quantity Available: 10
Book Description: Cengage Learning, Inc, United States, 2009. Hardback. Book Condition: New. 8th Revised edition. 246 x 189 mm. Brand New Book. Chemistry allows the reader to learn chemistry basics quickly and easily by emphasizing a thoughtful approach built on problem solving. For the Eighth Edition, authors Steven and Susan Zumdahl have extended this approach by emphasizing problem-solving strategies within the Examples and throughout the text narrative. Chemistry speaks directly to the reader about how to approach and solve chemical problems - to learn to think like a chemist - so that they can apply the process of problem-solving to all aspects of their lives. Bookseller Inventory # BZV9780547125329
Bookseller & Payment Information | More Books from this Seller | Ask Bookseller a Question
From United Kingdom to U.S.A.