Editorial Reviews for this title:
Building on the success of On Cooking, 4 th edition, the To Go version was inspired by the expressed desire of many users for a text that combines portability with meaningful integration of technology. On Cooking To Go Edition retains all of the instructional in-chapter recipes from the fourth edition; the end-of –chapter recipes have been migrated from the printed book to the Web via i-COOK , a robust web-based recipe management system. This reduced page count provides a more streamlined and portable book. MyCulinaryLab™, our powerful new technology solution, is available for a package option. It does not come packaged with this isbn. MyCulinaryLab™ enables students to study and master content online – in their own time, and at their own pace. Performance is based on summative and formative (study plans, homework, extra practice, pre- and post-tests, etc) assessment in the form of rich media and a personalized study plans tied to specific learning outcomes.
Attractively designed and extensively illustrated with color photographs, line drawings, charts and tables, this contemporary introduction to cooking and the culinary arts focuses on information relevant to today's students. Comprehensive and well written, and now offering a strong Media Program, On Cooking, 4/e emphasizes an understanding of cooking fundamentals, explores the contemporary dining option of vegetarian cooking, discusses nutrition and special health issues, and provides information on other relevant topics such as culinary history and food science.
- Test Kitchen Program offers over 140 in-chapter recipes tested by culinary schools assures recipe accuracy.
- Approximately 50 new recipes and expanded recipe variations add greater variety of recipes and offer additional basic, competency-based recipes.
- A strong Media Program packaged with each text includes:
DVD ROM—an interactive assessment tool
Cost Genie CD—a cost management tool
- New chapter Flavor and Flavorings explores distinguishing and understanding how flavoring affects taste & smell of foods; helps students develop flavor perception and be able to describe tastes.
- New section on the Flavors of Wine and Spirits located within the Flavors and Flavoring chapter identifies the major wine varieties and illustrates how to use wines and spirits in cooking.
- New chapter Vegetarian Cooking brings into focus an important contemporary dining option.
- Over 1800 original color photographs and line drawings illustrate preparation and presentation techniques and identify fresh foods and ingredients, tools, and equipment.
From the Back Cover
Editorial reviews may belong to another edition of this title.