In his own darkly humorous style, Geoffrey Abbott describes the instruments used and their effectiveness and reveals the macabre origins of familiar phrases such as “gone west” or “drawn a blank,” as well as the jargon of the underworld. He covers everything from the preparation of the victim to the disposal of the body. Execution is everything you ever wanted to know about the ultimate penalty---and a lot you never thought to ask.
It includes such hair-raising categories as:
· Cave of Roses: A rare Swedish method of execution in which the victim was confined to a cave full of snakes and poisonous reptiles.
· Bastinado: Involved the victim being caned gently and rhythmically with a lightweight stick on the soles of the feet until the mental collapse and eventual death of the victim.
· Sewn in an Animal’s Belly: A living person is sewn into the belly of an animal and left to die.
· The Spanish Donkey: This method of torture consisted of seating a victim on top of a wall that resembled an inverted “v” with weights attached to the ankles, the weights slowly increased until the victim’s body split in two.
· Iron Chair: The victim is tied to an iron armchair and pushed nearer and nearer to a blazing fire.
· Sawn in Half: Victims are secured in a standing position, pinned between two wide boards fixed between a stake driven deep into the ground while two executioners (one on each side) would wield a long, two-handled saw downwards through the boards.
Execution is a unique fascinating look at the grim and gritty history of sanctioned death.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Geoffrey Abbott served for many years as a Yeoman Warder at the Tower of London. Author of nineteen books and contributor to the Encyclopaedia Britannica, he has made numerous television appearances. He lives in London.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Book Condition: New. *FIRST EDITION* Brand new copy, mint condition, gift quality. Ships fast secure, expedited available!. Bookseller Inventory # 3UBC9S0004YI
Book Description St. Martin's Press, 2006. Book Condition: New. Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service! Summary: "Essential reading for all gore junkies." ---Sunday Express "Fascinating vignettes of death." ---The Wall Street JournalonThe Executioner Always Chops Twice. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_new_0312352220
Book Description St. Martin's Press, 2006. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 1st. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0312352220
Book Description Hardcover. Book Condition: BRAND NEW. NEW Book in Mint Condition -- Great DEAL !! Fast Shipping -- Friendly Customer Service -- Buy with Confidence!. Bookseller Inventory # RP0312352220BN
Book Description St. Martin's Press. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 0312352220 New Condition *** Right Off the Shelf | Ships within 2 Business Days ~~~ Customer Service Is Our Top Priority! - Thank you for LOOKING :-). Bookseller Inventory # 1BOOK2P131694
Book Description St. Martin's Press, 2006. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110312352220