Introduction to Fluid Mechanics
ISBN 10: 0471202312 / 0-471-20231-2
ISBN 13: 9780471202318
Publication Date: 2003
Editorial Reviews for this title:
Fox & McDonald provide a balanced and comprehensive approach to fluid mechanics that arms readers with proven problem-solving methodology! The authors show how to develop an orderly plan to solve problems: starting from basic equations, then clearly stating assumptions, and finally, relating results to expected physical behavior. This new edition simplifies many of the steps involved in analysis by using the computer application Excel.
Over 100 detailed example problems illustrate important fluid mechanics concepts:
- Approximately 1300 end-of-chapter problems are arranged by difficulty level and include many problems that are designed to be solved using Excel.
- The CD for the book includes: A Brief Review of Microsoft Excel and numerous Excel files for the example problems and for use in solving problems.
- The new edition includes an expanded discussion of pipe networks, and a new section on oblique shocks and expansion waves.
A proven problem-solving approach in Fluid Mechanics now integrated with Excel!
Fox, McDonald & Pritchard provide a balanced approach to fluid mechanics that arms students with a proven problem-solving methodology. Students will learn to adopt an orderly approach to solving problems.
- Providing a fresh look, new co-author Philip J. Pritchard, of Manhattan College, has clarified and improved descriptions and explanations throughout the book.
- The text emphasizes the control volume concept to provide a practical problem solving approach that is theoretically inclusive.
- 116 detailed example problems illustrate important concepts; each problem is solved in complete detail to demonstrate good solution procedure.
- 45 example problems have associated Excel/workbooks that enable students to perform “What if?” scenarios when studying the examples; many of the workbooks can be modified to solve end-of-chapter problems.
- Students can use Excel to vary problems parameters to gain insight into the behavior of complex solutions.
- 1315 end-of-chapter problems, with varying degrees of difficulty, provide the opportunity to practice building problem-solving skills.
- The CD accompanying the text includes: special and/or advanced topic sections for further study that are not include in the printed text, 45 example problem workbooks in Excel, and “A Brief Review of Microsoft Excel” (an introduction to Excel’s basic features, and such advanced features as Solver and macros).
From the Back Cover
Editorial reviews may belong to another edition of this title.