Features the same clear, concise, and accurate explanations of techniques and recipes that have distinguished earlier editions.
* 1,000 recipes, including 250 from Le Cordon Bleu.
* 250 new color photographs--1,000 photographs in all--of plated dishes and step-by-step techniques.
* New chapters on sausages and cured foods; pates, terrines, and other cold foods.
* New professional-level CD-ROM, including resizing of recipes, US/metric conversions, costing, purchasing lists, nutritional analysis, and more.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
"A reference for a lifetime."–André Cointreau
President and CEO, Le Cordon Bleu
(from the Foreword)
If you’re serious about cooking, you’ll want to join the hundreds of thousands of chefs who have used Wayne Gisslen’s Professional Cooking to learn the basics of their craft. With more information and step-by-step photographs than ever before, the Fifth Edition of this bestselling culinary classic gives you a complete foundation in cooking techniques and the theories behind them.
You’ll find detailed information on tools and equipment, mise en place preparation, basic cooking principles and techniques, and food presentation and garnishing. Progressing logically from simple cooking methods to more advanced techniques, the book helps you to understand the underlying principles first and then focus on applying them. It lets you work at your own pace through every part of the menu, from stocks, sauces, and soups to meats, poultry, fish, and shellfish; vegetables and grains; and breads and desserts.
Procedures are explained clearly, step by step, with more than 1,100 recipes–almost 100 of them new to this edition–to help you develop your skills and build confidence. Along the way, hundreds of color photographs of techniques and finished dishes are a valuable source of guidance and inspiration.
A special feature of the book is the participation of Le Cordon Bleu–one of the world’s most prestigious cooking schools–whose master chefs have contributed more than 100 recipes. There are also new chapters on sausages and cured food as well as pâtés, terrines, and other cold foods, plus added sections on game (birds and animals).
Throughout, the book’s up-to-date, color-coded format makes it easy to find key information at a glance so that you can spend less time reading and more time creating in the kitchen. So if you’re looking to take your cooking skills to a higher level, start the way the professionals do–with Wayne Gisslen’s Professional Cooking.From the Back Cover:
The new edition of a classic bestseller
Wayne Gisslen's Professional Cooking has helped train hundreds of thousands of professional chefs-with clear, detailed instruction in the cooking theory and techniques necessary to meet the demands of the professional kitchen. Now, with 1,100 recipes and more information than ever before, this beautifully revised and updated edition helps culinary students and aspiring chefs gain the tools and confidence they need to succeed as they build their careers in the field today.
What's new in the Fifth Edition
* Nearly 100 new recipes-along with more than 100 recipes from the master chefs of Le Cordon Bleu
* Expanded and updated information-featuring two new chapters on sausages and p?t?s, plus new material on game (birds and animals), and more
* Hundreds of new color photographs-illustrating ingredients, step-by-step techniques, and plated dishes in splendid visual detail
* Stunning new design-introducing a fresh pedagogical use of color to make it easy to find information quickly
* FREE ChefTec(TM) CD-ROM-packed with recipes from the book and professional-level functionality, including automatic recipe resizing, U.S./metric conversions, recipe costing, purchasing lists, nutritional analysis, and instant searching and sorting
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Wiley, 2002. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 5th. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0471397113
Book Description Wiley, 2002. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0471397113
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97804713971131.0