Literary Theory: An Introduction
ISBN 10: 0816612412 / 0-8166-1241-2
ISBN 13: 9780816612413
Publisher: Univ of Minnesota Pr
Publication Date: 1983
- 25th Anniversary Edition of Terry Eagleton’s classic introduction to literary theory
- First published in 1983, and revised in 1996 to include material on developments in feminist and cultural theory
- Has served as an inspiration to generations of students and teachers
- Continues to function as arguably the definitive undergraduate textbook on literary theory
- Reissue includes a new foreword by Eagleton himself, reflecting on the impact and enduring success of the book, and on developments in literary theory since it was first published
- Eagleton is a prolific writer, literary critic and public intellectual, most famous for his work in Marxist literary theory, and his lively writing style
First published in 1983, Literary Theory: An Introduction
is probably the best-selling work of literary criticism in the world today. It propelled its author to a position of such influence and controversy within the British academy that even Prince Charles once described him as “that dreadful Terry Eagleton”.
A quarter of a century on from its original publication, Literary Theory: An Introduction still conjures the subversion, excitement and exoticism that characterized theory through the 1960s and 70s, when it posed an unprecedented challenge to the literary establishment. Contemporary readers seeking to understand what literature is and what it is for will be inspired and entertained by Eagleton’s deft synopses of the major movements in literary studies in the twentieth century.
Eagleton has added a new preface to this anniversary edition to address more recent developments in literary studies, including what he describes as “the growth of a kind of anti-theory”, and the idea that literary theory has been institutionalized. Insightful and enlightening, Literary Theory: An Introduction remains the essential guide to the field.
From the Back Cover
Portions of this page may be (c) 2006 Muze Inc. Some database content may also be provided by Baker & Taylor Inc. Copyright 1995-2006 Muze Inc. For personal non-commercial use only. All rights reserved. Content for books is owned by Baker & Taylor, Inc. or its licensors and is subject to copyright and all other protections provided by applicable law.
Portions of this page may be Copyright VNU Entertainment Media (UK) Ltd., 2006, Georg Lingenbrink GmbH & Co., Tite Live, S.A or Informazioni Editoriali S.p.A. All rights reserved.