Teenagers are unique beings, requiring a whole new parenting approach. Dr. Karyn Gordon, or “dk” as teens call her, knows that approach and has been coaching adolescents and parents for over a decade. She’s a high-demand speaker, an expert on The Mom Show and the go-to teen parenting source for Canadian media. Using her dynamic, pragmatic advice and experience, Dr. Karyn cracks the mysterious code that defines teen behaviour.
A book that stands alone amid other parenting guides, Dr. Karyn’s Guide to the Teen Years is firmly based on what teens actually think, feel and do. Gordon explains the recent research that shows the teen brain is actually different and reveals how this difference radically affects adolescent—and parent—behaviours. Her PARENT keys, seen below, will unlock the secret to a happier, healthierparent–teen relationship.
· Picture: the importance of thinking “big picture” and why parents have to understand what they are hoping to achieve with their teen
· Attitude: identifying a person’s overall attitude towards parenting and how one’s own upbringing and family principles shape it
· Respect: building a healthy sense of respect and self-esteem in your teenager
· Emotion: understanding your teen’s emotional brain—. and your own
· Non-Verbal/Verbal Communication: 10 different communication styles and how they affect your relationship
· Teach: how to teach responsibility and develop a balanced structure that reflects your family values
Throughout the book, Gordon advises on central issues, including depression and mental illness, substance abuse, sex and sexual orientation, privacy and independence, friends and peer pressure, trouble with the law, learning styles and school choices, bullying and violence, and step-parenting. Interspersed with case studies and revealing quotes from teens, Dr. Karyn’s Guide to the Teen Years is the guide all parents should read before their child’s 12th birthday.
Dr. Karyn’s Guide to the Teen Years is for parents who:
· have trouble understanding or communicating with their teen
· worry their teen is unhappy
· feel they’re doing too much for their teen
· wish their teen would eat healthier, spend smarter or schedule better
· feel guilty when they say “no”
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
DR. KARYN GORDON has a bachelor’s degree in psychology, a master’s in counselling, and a doctorate in marriage and family. She is the author of the Analyse Yourself and Analyse Your Teen CD series, a regular contributor to Slice Network’s The Mom Show and was the host of Bridging the Gap, her own weekly radio show on 1010 CFRB Radio in Toronto. She is the co-founder of dkb Coaching and Wellness Studio and has spoken to almost 200,000 teens, Generation Y and adults at over 1,000 high schools, universities, conferences and corporations, including PepsiCo and Ernst & Young. Dr. Gordon lives in Toronto.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Collins 2008-01-01, 2008. Softcover. Book Condition: New. Softcover. Publisher overstock, may contain remainder mark on edge. Bookseller Inventory # 9780002008631B
Book Description Harper Collins Publishers. Book Condition: New. Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 0002008637
Book Description Collins, 2008. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110002008637
Book Description Collins. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0002008637