What if you could improve your health by eating a luscious espresso cinnamon cheesecake, a delicious key lime tart, or tantalizing chocolate truffles?Well, now you can! Soy Desserts is the first cookbook exclusively devoted to desserts made with tofu, soy chocolate, soy milk, soy yogurt, and soy cheeses. In its pages you'll learn how to make and enjoy such delights as Raspberry Marble Tofu Cheesecake, Soynut Pecan Pie, Tofu Coconut Cream Pie, and Lemon Ginger Soy Ice Cream.Lauded as a miracle food, soy is renowned for lowering the risk of breast cancer and heart disease, easing the symptoms of menopause, protecting against prostate cancer, and preventing digestive disorders. Additionally, soy provides the highest levels of protein available from a plant source, is an ideal source of complex carbohydrates, and is naturally low in sodium. Patricia Greenberg explains the many healthful benefits of soy and reveals how even the most decadent of desserts can be turned into a healthy treat using nature's healthiest bean. Soy Desserts shows how you can indulge in rich, sweet treats like Tofu Chocolate Almond Mousse, Soy Chocolate Raspberry Brownies, and Four-Layer Soy Yellow Cherry Cake with Soy Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting and still maintain a healthy diet. It also includes helpful sections on buying, storing, and baking with soy products and getting the best nutrition from soy. Whether you're vegetarian, vegan, diabetic, lactose -intolerant, or just someone who wants to prepare tasty, health-promoting desserts, this is the cookbook for you. Soy Desserts includes mouthwatering recipes for:Tasty Pies and TartsScrumptious Cakes and FrostingsDelicious Quickbreads, Muffins, Brownies,Bars, and SconesIrresistible Candies and CookiesDelightful Parfaits, Custards, Mousses,Puddings, and Soy Ice Creams
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Tofu Orange Creme Brule - Makes 6 Custards
My fellow chefs said it couldn't be done, but this simple tofu creme brule worked the first time I tried it. Feel free to use a variety of citrus fruits; they are all interchangable here.
Six 3-ounce ovenproof custard cups or individual souffle dishes
1 1/2 pounds firm tofu
1/4 cup sugar or light granulated cane juice
2 teaspoons orange extract
Zest of one orange
6 teaspoons brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a food processor or blender, puree the tofu until smooth. One at a time, while blending, add the sugar, orange extract, and orange zest.
3. Pour the tofu mixture evenly into the custard cups and bake 20 minutes
4. Cool completely and refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. For serving, preheat the broiler. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon brown sugar on each custard and set under the broiler for 1 minute or until browned.
6. Remove from oven, and serve immediately.
Protein 8.9 g
Carbohydrate 13 g
Fat 3.7 g
Fiber .4 g
Sodium 9.5 mg
Soy Chocolate Raspberry Brownies -Makes 10 Brownies
These soy chocolate raspberry brownies are so chocolaty and satisfying, I call them the dessert to "live for." The fat and calories are so low, but they still have that luscious mouth feel that you expect from chocolate. Serve with raspberry sauce for a little extra sweetness.
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup soy flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 whole eggs
1 cup sugar or light granulated cane juice
3 tablespoons soft soy margarine
1/3 cup semi sweet soy chocolate chips
1/4 cup raspberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 350
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the wheat flour and soy flour and baking powder and set aside.
3. In an electric mixer, cream the eggs and sugar until smooth.
4. In a double boiler over medium heat, melt the margarine and chocolate chips, stir until smooth, and remove from the heat.
5. Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture a little at a time, and continue to beat.
6. Slowly incorporate the flour into the liquid mixture. Beat slowly, and gradually increase speed until well combined.
7. Fold in the jam and pour into the prepared cake pan.
8. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool before removing.
Brownies can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days
Cooking Note These can be cut into the traditional squares, or baked in a round pan and cut into decorative wedges
Protein 4.7 g
Carbohydrate 37 g
Fat 9 g
Fiber 2 g
Cholesterol 42 mg
Sodium 71.5 mg
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description William Morrow Cookbooks, 2000. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0060393947
Book Description William Morrow Cookbooks, 2000. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. First Edition. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0060393947
Book Description William Morrow Cookbooks, 2000. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. New item. Bookseller Inventory # QX-001-74-0899000
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97800603939461.0