This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
The exotic imagery of the Orient has allured travelers for centuries. In the last decade, Asia has catapulted into a global leadership role in tourism. Its long history coupled with its contrasting geographical landscapes now form important backdrops for travel itineraries. Yet its destinations are at different stages of development, with varying resources to predict, plan and manage the impacts of tourism that will resonate throughout the destination. The rising wealth of Asian communities and their enhanced ability to travel have also spurred regional and international travel, creating a need to further understand and manage these new travel audiences.
Recognizing the significant rise in travel and tourism in Asia, this book addresses essential issues and challenges in master planning and managing tourism in Asia s various geographical, cultural, environmental and political settings.
Introduction to Tourism Management: An Asian Perspective is targeted at tourism planners and practitioners as well as undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Thirteen chapters encapsulating the core topics of tourism destination planning, such as defining and developing appropriate products, operations, transportation systems, regulatory frameworks and marketing strategy in a responsible manner towards the local community and environment.
- Interviews with experts, leaders and entrepreneurs in Asian tourism planning and management, including Taleb Rifai (United Nations World Tourism Organization), Tony Wheeler (Lonely Planet), Dato' Sri Dr Ng Yen Yen (Ministry of Tourism Malaysia), Sir David Tang (Shanghai Tang) and Ho Kwan Ping (Banyan Tree Holdings).
- Focus features within the chapters highlight critical issues in preparing adequately for the influx of tourism and its possible impacts.
- Up-to-date travel and tourism literature is reviewed and explained within an Asian context, with an emphasis on the Internet savvy traveller and the increasingly relevant role of social media, smartphone and tablet technology today.
- Practical notes by tourism agencies showing strategic thinking, direction and actions that should be taken in Asian locations, from vision formation to evaluation methods and interpretation of outcomes.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Glenn McCartney is Assistant Professor in Hospitality and Gaming Management at the University of Macau and a consultant for the travel and tourism industry. He works with governments and the private sector on tourism planning and management issues, in particular on marketing communication and event management.
Dr McCartney received his doctoral degree in Tourism Management from the School of Management, University of Surrey. His experience in the Asian tourism and hospitality industry spans 20 years with more than ten years of graduate and practitioner teaching experience in Asia. In 2010 he authored Event Management: An Asian Perspective, published by McGraw-Hill Education, highlighting the huge growth in travel and tourism in Asia in recent years and the need to gain greater insight in planning and managing tourism actions and strategy within Asian settings.
Dr McCartney s research has appeared in numerous publications and leading tourism journals. He has also presented at several international conferences on Asian tourism development issues. In recognition of his significant contributions to tourism through his research in Asia, he was nominated as Emerging Scholar of Distinction for 2009 by the prestigious International Academy for the Study of Tourism. He is also the British Honorary Consul, Macao.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description McGraw-Hill Education (Asia). PAPERBACK. Condition: New. 0071088040 Brand new book. International Edition. Ship from multiple locations. 3-5 business days Express Delivery to USA/UK/Europe/Asia/Worldwide. Tracking number will be provided. Satisfaction guaranteed. Seller Inventory # SKU004219
Book Description McGraw-Hill Education (Asia). Condition: New. Paperback. Worldwide shipping. FREE fast shipping inside USA (express 2-3 day delivery also available). Tracking service included. Ships from United States of America. Seller Inventory # 0071088040
Book Description McGraw-Hill Education (Asia), 2013. Paperback. Condition: Brand New. 1st edition. 608 pages. 9.30x7.30x0.80 inches. In Stock. Seller Inventory # 0071088040
Book Description 2013. Paperback. Condition: New. Paperback. Shipping may be from multiple locations in the US or from the UK, depending on stock availability. 608 pages. 0.381. Seller Inventory # 9780071088046
Book Description 2013. Paperback. Condition: New. Paperback. Shipping may be from our Sydney, NSW warehouse or from our UK or US warehouse, depending on stock availability. 608 pages. 0.381. Seller Inventory # 9780071088046