Understanding Teaching Through Learning provides reflective and analytic tools for teachers and teachers-in-training to examine principles and practices of effective classroom language teaching. Rather than being told what they `should and shouldn't' do, readers explore their own views of language learning and teaching through experiential activities, readings, and exercises so they can develop action plans that make sense for their classrooms.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
This book has three main themes and six guiding questions:
Theme 1: The Individual Student and Learning
1. What factors affect the learning process?
2. How does classroom interaction affect individual student learning? Theme 2: Designing a Learning Experience
3. How can I design my lesson so that I will know students have learned?
4. How can I design a flow of activities that supports student learning
Theme 3: Supporting a Learning Experience
5. How can I set up activities and my classroom to support student learning?
6. How can I communicate with students so as to support student learning and participation?
* Each chapter begins with a `teaching puzzle' in which the reader thinks about a classroom story and how to help students learn.
* There are experiential activities that guide the reader to reflect on specific aspects of the learning process outlined in the initial puzzle.
* The Points of View section presents expert opinions about how people learn and how learning can be facilitated.
* Key Questions provide a framework for analyzing and planning lessons using the principles presented in each chapter.
* Exploring the Practice provides opportunities for the reader to balance the expert views with their own experiences.
* Activities and Techniques for the Classroom provide a variety of options for teachers to try out in their own classrooms.
* The book is written in clear accessible language making it a good option for non-native teachers who are themselves English language learners.
Josh Kurzweil began his teaching career in 1990. He has taught and trained in Japan, Spain, the Republic of Georgia, and the United States. He received his Master's degree in teaching from the SIT Graduate Institute and holds the Cambridge DELTA. In addition to working on the SIT course, Josh has been a trainer with the Peace Corps and does educational consulting. He has presented at numerous conferences in the United States and in Japan. He has published professional article in journals such as the English Teaching Professional. In 2006 he co-authored the teacher training book, Understanding Teaching Through Learning, with McGraw-Hill and the SIT Graduate Institute. He currently teaches academic English at the intensive English program at Diablo Valley College and runs Berkeley LTC which hosts the SIT TESOL Certificate Course in Berkeley, CA. He is a licensed trainer and trainer of trainers with the SIT Graduate Institute. His particular areas of interest include experiential learning, reflective practice, instructional design, and cross-cultural communication. Josh lives with his wife and son in Berkeley, California.
Mary Scholl, a graduate of SIT's Master of Arts in Teaching program, has been teaching for over 20 years. She has taught in both public and private settings in Asia, North America and South America. In 2006 she co-authored the teacher training book, Understanding Teaching Through Learning, with McGraw-Hill and the SIT Graduate Institute. She currently teaches English with Earth Institute in Costa Rica and is the founder of TESOL Training Costa Rica, which is a licensed center of the SIT TESOL Certificate Course. Mary has done teacher training throughout Central and South America, working for ministries of education along with the United States Peace Corps. She has been featured has a plenary speaker at numerous conferences and has been presenting at professional conferences for over 15 years. She lives on a beautiful farm in the heart of Costa Rica, and loves cooking and yoga. Areas of particular professional interest for her include creativity, leadership, learner development, and reflection.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description McGraw-Hill Europe, 2008. Paperback. Book Condition: New. New item. Bookseller Inventory # QX-133-39-8480008
Book Description McGraw-Hill Europe, 2008. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0073533793
Book Description McGraw-Hill Europe, 2008. Book Condition: New. Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service!. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_new_0073533793
Book Description McGraw-Hill Europe, 2008. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110073533793
Book Description McGraw-Hill Europe, 2008. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 73533793