This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Extensively revised and updated, the new edition of the highly regarded Handbook of Proteolytic Enzymes is an essential reference for biochemists, biotechnologists and molecular biologists. Edited by world-renowned experts in the field, this comprehensive work provides detailed information on all known proteolytic enzymes to date. This two-volume set unveils new developments on proteolytic enzymes which are being investigatedin pharmaceutical research for such diseases as HIV, Hepatitis C, and the common cold.
Volume I covers aspartic and metallo petidases while Volume II examines peptidases of cysteine, serine, threonine and unknown catalytic type. A CD-ROM accompanies the book containing fully searchable text, specialised scissile bond searches, 3-D color structures and much more.
* The only comprehensive book on proteolytic enzymes
* Includes 671 chapters, each written by experts in their field, on proteolytic enzymes from all groups of living organisms and the viruses, including those that are currently major targets of pharmaceutical research
* Accompanying CD-ROM provides fully searchable text, 2D structures of peptidases in color and links directly to PubMed and MEROPS databases
*Each chapter describes in detail the enzyme name, its history, activity and specificity, structural chemistry, preparation, biological aspects and distinguishing features
*Over 1000 peptidases included
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
A two-volume set that covers exciting new developments on enzymes that are currently major targets of pharmaceutical researchFrom the Back Cover:
Extensively revised and updated, the new edition of the highly regarded Handbook of Proteolytic Enzymes is an essential reference for biochemists, biotechnologists and molecular biologists. Edited by world-renowned experts in the field, this comprehensive work provides detailed information on all known proteolytic enzymes to date. Volume 1 covers aspartic and metallo-peptidases while Volume 2 examines peptidases of cysteine, serine, threonine and unknown catalytic type. A CD-ROM accompanies the book containing fully searchable text, specialized scissile bond searches, 2D structures of peptidases in color and much more.
* Includes over 180 new chapters
* Each chapter details in a uniform structure the enzyme name and history, activity and specificity, structural chemistry, preparation, biological aspects and distinguishing features
* Enzymes are ordered according to a novel system of classification pioneered by the editors and used by IUBMB and SWISS-PROT
* Authoritative new chapters review the catalytic mechanisms of aspartic, cysteine, serine, threonine and metallo-peptidases
* Provides information enabling scientists to determine whether an enzyme is new or just rediscovered
* Extensive bibliography which on the CD-ROM links directly to PubMed
* Each enzyme on the CD-ROM links direct to the MEROPS database which provides ancillary information such as sequence comparisons and X-ray structures
Reviews of the Previous Edition:
"...a massive and definitive compilation of information on proteolytic enzymes and will no doubt be the standard work for years to come...the information collected here will be of great value to scientists working in practically the whole of biology as well as to the biotechnology industry...For the teacher, the book would be a valuable source of reference...and for generations of postgraduates and postdocs this will be a bible..."
"... an important and heroic accomplishment . for the first time in the history of enzymology it presents a rather complete hierarchical reference of the chemical and biological properties of proteases.. I consider it an indispensable reference for the practicing enzymologists, protein chemists and molecular biologists..."
Hans Neurath, Professor Emeritus of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
".. The Handbook of Proteolytic Enzymes is a much needed reference book in the field of peptidases....It is a comprehensive treatise that will be extremely valuable not only to experts in the field but also to the general biochemical community."
Michael N.G. James, MRC Canada, Group in Protein Structure and Function, Department of Biochemistry
"Rated 5 Stars! ..This book is highly recommended for anyone with an interest in proteolytic enzymes and is probably the only truly comprehensive handbook of this type available. It represents a massive effort by the editors and contributors and will likely be the primary source of such information in the future."
DOODY'S PUBLISHING REVIEWS
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Academic Press, 2004. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0120796120
Book Description Academic Press, 2004. Hardcover. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P110120796120