The Encyclopedia of Foods: A Guide to Healthy Nutrition is a definitive resource for what to eat for maximum health as detailed by medical and nutritional experts. This book makes the connection between health, disease, and the food we eat.
The Encyclopedia describes more than 140 foods, providing information on their history, nutrient content, and medical uses.
The Encyclopedia also describes the "fit kitchen", including the latest in food safety, equipment and utensils for preparing fit foods, and ways to modify favorite recipes to ensure health and taste.
* Details healthy eating guidelines based on the RDA food pyramid
* Provides scientific basis and knowledge for specific recommendations
* Beautifully illustrated
* Extensive list of reliable nutrition resources
* Describes the fit kitchen from the latest in food safety to equipment and utensils for preparing fit foods to ways to modify favorite recipes to ensure health and taste
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
As consumers become better educated about how lifestyle affects their health, they are more demanding: they expect current information that supports the link among nutrition, health promotion, and disease prevention and treatment. This book, prepared by medical and nutrition experts at the Mayo Clinic, the University of California Los Angeles, and Dole Food Company, Inc., provides the medical information, scientific evidence, and nutritional data to meet these increasing demands.
The Encyclopedia of Foods: A Guide to Healthy Nutrition is a definitive resource on what to eat for health. Part I presents the scientific basis for the links between food and health. Statistics show that the foods we eat play a major role in the prevention and treatment of coronary artery disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes-four leading causes of death in the United States. Also discussed is the role of nutrition in other common medical conditions: obesity, high blood pressure, and osteoporosis. Practical guidelines for planning and preparing healthful and delicious meals are given.
Part II is an encyclopedia of foods, organized into the commonly recognized USDA Food Guide Pyramid food groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy foods, meats and high-protein foods, and other foods such as fats, oils, sweets, and alcohol. More than 140 individual fruits and vegetables are described to encourage consumption for their health benefits. Health implications of the other food groups are also described in addition to nutrient contents, history, and recommended uses.
Beautifully illustrated with many photographs, the Encyclopedia of Foods: A Guide to Healthy Nutrition is an invaluable resource for linking food and health.
* Provides an overview of the basic principles of nutrition, including the most current recommendations for nutrient intake, the role of each nutrient and how much is needed, the United States Dietary Guidelines for Americans, and how these guidelines translate into healthful food selections
* Reviews the unique role of nutrition in the prevention and treatment of obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, coronary artery disease, osteoporosis, and cancer
* Presents creative ways to select, plan, and prepare healthful meals, including 2 weeks of nutritionally balanced menus and ways to modify favorite family recipes to be healthful and delicious
* Details hundreds of foods, including their nutrient contents and how they can contribute to well-being
* Discusses supplements, antioxidants, phytochemicals, functional foods, and new food technology
Edited by Experts from Dole Foods, the Mayo Clinic, and UCLA Center for Human Nutrition
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Academic Press, 2001. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. THE BOOK IS NEW. MAY HAVE MINOR SHELF WEAR.MULTIPLE COPIES AVAILABLE. FAST SHIPPING. WE OFFER FREE TRACKING NUMBER UPON FAST SHIPMENT OF YOUR ORDER. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS AND WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU ASAP. Thank you for your interest. Bookseller Inventory # 0122198034-N
Book Description Academic Press, 2001. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. We have 1.5 million books to choose from -- Ship within 48 hours -- Satisfaction Guaranteed!. Bookseller Inventory # mon0000590591
Book Description Hardcover. Book Condition: BRAND NEW. BRAND NEW. Fast Shipping. Prompt Customer Service. Satisfaction guaranteed. Bookseller Inventory # 0122198034BNA
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97801221980381.0
Book Description Academic Press, 2001. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0122198034
Book Description Academic Press, 2001. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 1. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0122198034
Book Description Academic Press, 2001. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110122198034
Book Description Academic Pr, 2001. Hardcover. Book Condition: Brand New. 1st edition. 700 pages. 11.25x8.75x1.50 inches. In Stock. Bookseller Inventory # zk0122198034