Dendritic Cells is the first definitive book on this subject, and brings together the most current information in the field for scientists and clinicians. It outlines research studies, the first reports of therapeutic applications of dendritic cells, and the enormous potential of these unique cells. Contributors are from the key research groups around the world who are working on the immunobiology of dendritic cells and in applied areas, striving to develop their therapeutic potential.
* First book on the subject of dendritic cells, the most powerful tool for manipulating the immune system
* Discusses the origin of DCs, their function throughout the body, and how they interact with other cells
* Covers the role of DCs in cancer, infectious diseases, transplantation, autoimmunity, and more
* Reports on novel therapeutic strategies, including cellular vaccines and tolerance induction
* Includes internationally-acclaimed contributors including Jacques Banchereau and Ralph Steinman
* Contains a spectacular 32-page color plate section
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
The definitive work on dendritic cells, the most powerful tool for manipulating the immune system!
Dendritic cells are the pacemakers of the immune system, inducing and maintaining the adaptive immune response as the most potent antigen-presenting cells of the immune system. The information available on these centrally important cells is expanding rapidly and generating worldwide excitement with regard to their enormous immunotherapeutic potential.
Dendritic Cells, the first and definitive book on this topic, is essential reading for any researcher working in immunology, cell biology, infectious diseases, cancer, transplantation and genetic engineering as well as those in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry and is an invaluable addition to any scientific library.
Key Features and Contents:
* Origin of dendritic cells
* Dendritic cells in the periphery, skin, lung, liver gut and spleen
* Dendritic cells in disease including cancer, graft rejection, autoimmunity, infectious diseases, HIV and cancer
* Novel therapeutic strategies, including cellular vaccines and tolerance induction
* Techniques in dendritic cell biology, including targeted gene knockouts, isolation, propagation and culture, and dendritic cell-tumor fusion
* Dendritic cell interactions with other cell types
* Internationally acclaimed contributors including Jacques Banchereau and Ralph Steinman
* Spectacular 32-page colour plate section
For the past 18 years, Dr. Angus Thomson has been involved at the forefront of developments in cellular and molecular immunology as they apply to our further understanding of the immune system and how they can more effectively be regulated to control adverse immune reactions that occur in autoimmune disorders, transplant rejection, and allergy.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Academic Press, 1999. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0124558607
Book Description Academic Press, 1999. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. New item. Bookseller Inventory # QX-200-70-8051108
Book Description Hardcover. Book Condition: BRAND NEW. BRAND NEW. Fast Shipping. Prompt Customer Service. Satisfaction guaranteed. Bookseller Inventory # 0124558607BNA
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97801245586011.0