Molecular Microbiology Laboratory is designed to teach molecular biology techniques to upper level undergraduates majoring in the life sciences. An extremely detailed lab preparation manual for teaching assistants accompanies the lab book and contains a general discussion of scientific writing and critical reading, as well as detailed instructions for preparation and peer review of lab reports. Each experimental unit is accompanied by a number of additional writing exercises based upon primary journal articles. The studies in these articles employ the techniques that the students are learning in the lab exercises, which reinforces their understanding of the material. These are techniques that students in any biological science will need to know, making this manual applicable to any life science curriculum.
* Not a typical cookbook lab exercise, offers students the excitement and intellectual challenge of characterizing true unknowns. They could discover a new species!
* Success rate greater than 85% for the entire experiment, even with very inexperienced students.
* The ONLY manual that incorporates writing exercises into the curriculum.
* Co-authored by Dr. Janine Trempy, one of four senior editors of the Journal of Microbiology Education, published by the American Society for Microbiology.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
A writing-intensive course appropriate for college sophomores through seniors in any of the life sciences.From the Back Cover:
Molecular Microbiology Laboratory: A Writing-Intensive Course consists of four units designed to teach molecular biology techniques to juniors and seniors majoring in the life sciences. In the first unit, students prepare plasmid DNA, construct a restriction map of the plasmid, and transform it into E. coli. In the second unit, students express, purify, and analyze an affinity-tagged protein. The third unit includes an exciting experiment in which each student learns how to isolate genomic DNA, perform polymerase chain reaction (PCR), analyze and purify PCR products by gel electrophoresis, and obtain DNA sequence data. The fourth unit teaches students to perform Southern blots and to prepare hybridization probes. Additionally, this manual includes a general discussion of scientific writing and critical reading and detailed instructions for the preparation and peer review of lab reports. Each experimental unit is accompanied by a number of writing exercises based upon primary journal articles. The strategies in these articles employ the techniques that students learn in lab exercises, reinforcing their understanding of the material. This book will appeal to college students in any of the life sciences, including microbiology, genetics, general biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, botany and zoology. The experiments are also appropriate for properly equipped junior colleges and liberal arts institutions.
* The second unit is not a typical cookbook lab exercise, because it offers the students the excitement and intellectual challenge of characterizing true unknowns. In principle, they could discover a new species! Despite the difficulties inherent in working with unknown bacteria, the procedure is very robust; a high success rate can be achieved even with inexperienced students.
* This is the ONLY manual that incorporates writing exercises into the curriculum. Writing is one of the most important skills that students develop in college. It is critical for their future success.
* An invaluable inclusion of COMPLETE journal articles is located in the Required and Suggested Reading section. Having these articles at hand saves time for the reader, and provides enlightening and useful information.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Academic Press, 2003. Plastic Comb. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 012583991X
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Brand New Original US Edition, Perfect Condition. Printed in English. Excellent Quality, Service and customer satisfaction guaranteed!. Bookseller Inventory # AIND-800
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. New. US edition. Customer Satisfaction guaranteed!!. Bookseller Inventory # SHUB15898
Book Description Book Condition: New. New. US edition. Perfect condition. Ship by express service to USA, Canada, Australia, France, Italy, UK, Germany and Netherland. Customer satisfaction our priority. Bookseller Inventory # ABE-FEB-15898
Book Description Book Condition: New. Brand New Original US Edition.We Ship to PO BOX Address also. EXPEDITED shipping option also available for faster delivery. Bookseller Inventory # AUSBNEW-800
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. New, US edition. Excellent Customer Service. Bookseller Inventory # ABEUSA-15898
Book Description Elsevier -, -. Book Condition: NEW. -- (illustrator). Original Books from across the World in Brand New Condition --------- It can be shipped from U.S, Canada, Germany & India/Overseas centre subject to availability.____0199218676_____9780125839914. book. Bookseller Inventory # SIP-STK-36
Book Description Elsevier. Book Condition: New. pp. 268. Bookseller Inventory # 7608239
Book Description Academic Press, 2003. Plastic Comb. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX012583991X
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97801258399141.0