This broad introduction to early childhood literature focuses on literacy analysis and on specific techniques and methods of effective literature-based education. Updates references of children's books that readers can use as examples of quality literature. Strengthens coverage of several areas including nonfiction, multicultural/international literature, and the use of literature in integrated teaching for the primary grades. For educators and school administrators.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Literature for Young Children is written for early childhood teachers and child-care professionals to help them learn to recognize high-quality children's literature and effectively use it to support emerging literacy development in preschool and primary-age children. The text not only exposes the literary merits of early childhood literature but also explains how to use children's literature as a teaching tool, offering a myriad of developmentally appropriate strategies for sharing literature with young children.
The Fifth Edition provides:
• An evaluation of various genres and criteria for selecting and using high-quality literature with young children.
• Discussions of classic and contemporary literature appropriate for preschool and primary-age children.
• Explanations and strategies to demonstrate how literature supports the development of children's language, cognitive skills, personality, social and moral development, and aesthetic and creative development.
• Effective strategies for sharing literature to support emerging literacy skills.
• National professional standards aligned with state and local standards for early childhood literacy.
• Suggestions for integrating a variety of literature into the early childhood curriculum.
• Educational theory and research pertinent to the topic of each chapter. Strategies to extend learning beyond the chapter's focus.
• Developmental goals, teaching suggestions, and recommended literature gathered together and presented in a table format.
New to This Edition:
• Boxed lists of developmentally appropriate books sprinkled throughout chapters to present extensive examples of literature aligned to chapter concepts.
• Web sites related to authors, illustrators, organizations, and other information related to children's literature.
• Detailed explanations of how to implement a yearlong theme and the literature that supports it.
ORGANIZATION OF THE TEXT
The first three chapters introduce the range of literacy typically developed with young children, demonstrate how standards of literacy excellence can be applied, and provide suggestions for child-care professionals and teachers working with parents to select good literature. Chapter 4 focuses on the successful integration of literature into the curriculum, whereas Chapters 5-9 center on how literature addresses the development of children—their language, their personality, and their cognitive, moral, social, and creative skills. The final chapter, Chapter 10, presents a detailed, step-by-step look at how to use one specific book with preschoolers and one with primary-age children.
DISCOVER THE COMPANION WEBSITE ACCOMPANYING THIS BOOK
The Prentice Mall Companion Website: A Virtual Learning Environment
Technology is a constantly growing and changing aspect of our field that is creating a need for content and resources. To address this emerging need, Prentice Hall has developed an online learning environment for students and professors alike—Companion Websites—to support our textbooks.
In creating a Companion Website, our goal is to build on and enhance what the textbook already offers. For this reason, the content for each user-friendly website is organized by topic and provides the professor and student with a variety of meaningful resources. Common features of a Companion Website include:
For the Professor
Every Companion Website integrates Syllabus Manager™, an online syllabus creation and management utility.
For the Student
To take advantage of these and other resources, please visit the Literature for Young Children, Fifth Edition, Companion Website at: www.prenhall.com/glazer
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Prentice Hall, 1999. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0130109878
Book Description Prentice Hall, 1999. Paperback. Book Condition: New. 4. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0130109878
Book Description Prentice Hall, 1999. Paperback. Book Condition: New. New item. Bookseller Inventory # QX-133-87-6917106
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97801301098731.0