"Enterprising CORBA" is a complete blueprint for building large scale CORBA applications with the reliability, scalability, and manageability today's enterprises require--using technologies in the marketplace today. Review CORBA fundamentals, architecture, services, and development approaches that are key to enterprise development.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Written for the experienced CORBA developer, Enterprise CORBA helps you design effective distributed systems with an eye toward better scalability and performance. Early sections look at the differences in the object life cycle for both Basic Object Adapter (BOA) and Portable Object Adapter (POA) standards. The authors provide a quick tour of built-in CORBA services (such as the naming service) and look at the CORBA IDL for a simple stock-quote server.
The book provides excellent material on asynchronous processing and messaging options in CORBA, including multicasting. One standout section is the area on security, which provides checklists for using CORBA securely on both the intranet and Internet.
The book stresses today's object-oriented databases, as well as issues of using relational databases with CORBA (undoubtedly still the most common approach). The text then looks at designing persistent CORBA objects, stateful and stateless objects, and sessions. The authors discuss managing transactions using the legacy X/Open Distributed Transaction Processing (DTP) and new CORBA Object Transaction Service (OTS) standards in good detail.
Later sections examine issues surrounding performance on distributed systems, including tips for load balancing, automatically cleaning up objects (with eviction triggers and policies), and replication. (Here the authors look at the Object Group and Concentrator patterns for better scalability.) The book closes with some software design issues, including how to use CORBA with Unified Modeling Language (UML) and today's modeling tools. --Richard DraganFrom the Back Cover:
This is not yet another introduction to CORBA-this is the first book to offer proven guidelines for building large-scale, enterprise-class CORBA systems. This book provides you with the knowledge you need to fully leverage the strength of OMG CORBA. Benefit from the real-world experience the three authors gained as leading CORBA consultants, working with many customers in industries like manufacturing, transportation, finance, and telecommunication.
Enterprise CORBA covers all aspects of CORBA-based enterprise system development:
* Discover how CORBA and distributed objects are changing the traditional object-oriented software engineering process. Use UML extensions to model distribution aspects.
* Design more efficient IDL, taking performance aspects into consideration.
* Learn how to best utilize BOA and POA features to increase the scalability of your systems.
* Maximize scalability through efficient server resource management, load balancing, multithreading, and other techniques.
* Find solutions for integrating CORBA with relational and object database management systems.
* Learn about Distributed Transaction Processing in a CORBA environment, using the CORBA Object Transaction Service.
* Design a security policy and apply it to your CORBA system.
* Deploy, manage, and evolve your enterprise CORBA applications.
* Understand the strengths and limitations of today's CORBA development tools-including CASE systems, modeling tools, and code generation utilities.
This book focuses on the application of technology that is available today, building on the experience the authors have gained with enterprise CORBA systems deployed in the real world. The book provides you with a blueprint for applying CORBA technology to build flexible, high-performance, enterprise-class applications.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Prentice Hall Ptr, 1999. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0130839639
Book Description Prentice Hall Ptr, 1999. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0130839639
Book Description Prentice Hall Ptr. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 0130839639 BRAND NEW NEVER USED IN STOCK 125,000+ HAPPY CUSTOMERS SHIP EVERY DAY WITH FREE TRACKING NUMBER. Bookseller Inventory # 0130839639
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97801308396331.0
Book Description Prentice Hall Ptr, 1999. Paperback. Book Condition: New. New item. Bookseller Inventory # QX-005-93-5456105