Contains Chapter overviews, Key Terms, Study questions, and Critical Thinking Exercises.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
From the Publisher
This book focuses on music of the Western tradition in a global context. Historical and cultural background are clearly explained, but the emphasis is on "active listening." A number of completely fresh pieces are integrated among the universally acknowledged masterpieces, and all are presented in fine performances, accompanied by illuminating and accessible Listening Guides.
From the Back Cover
FOR THE TEACHER
- Emphasizes careful listening, with an entire chapter devoted to the Art of Listening
- Places Western music in a global context
- Clarifies the distinct stylistic features of each historical period, with chapter-end Style Summaries
- Explores the contributions of women throughout the ages
- Considers music of other cultures
- Includes popular music in historical context
FOR THE STUDENT
- Inside the Orchestra Videotape — a unique feature, explaining all the instruments and how an orchestra works, with five featured orchestral works, one from each historical period
- Annotated Instructor's Edition filled with helpful classroom suggestions
- Instructor's Manual with chapter summaries, related readings, tests, and more
- Computerized Test Bank in PC and Mac formats
- Films for the Humanities historical videotape compiled especially for Understanding Music
- Inside the Orchestra CD-ROM, explaining all the instruments and how an orchestra works
- Companion Website™ (www.prenhall.com/yudkin), an on-line study guide for Understanding Music
- MusicNotes Booklet, containing listening guides from the text with ample room for note taking. FREE with all copies of Understanding Music.
- 7-CD Complete Collection with all of the music discussed in Understanding Music (ISBN 0-13-150564-5)
- 3-CD Student Collection with the main musical selections from the book (ISBN 0-13-150563-7)
- Custom Repertoire CD: Contact your local Prentice Hall representative for details
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.