A Practical Guide to Middle and Secondary Social Studies, 4/e gives readers a concise, practical look at the crucial, relevant strategies and content they need to be effective teachers of social studies in today's middle and secondary schools. With its focus on achieving citizenship education, book incorporates the best teaching practices and creative enthusiasm into the classroom includes lesson plans, units, and instructional resources suggesting activities. This new edition brings readers up to date on the many factors transforming the social studies curriculum today-the Common Core State Standards, No Child Left Behind legislation, and the success rate of social studies Advanced Placement course-and shows how to integrate the latest technology into the social studies curriculum, including blended learning, flipped classrooms, social media, ebooks, and more.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
This concise, practical book gives readers a look at the crucial, relevant strategies and content they need to be effective teachers of social studies in today’s middle and secondary schools. It concentrates on helping readers teach thoughtfully and creatively so that their students will in turn become knowledgeable and responsible citizens acting on core values and beliefs. The focus is on the goal of civic education.
With more changes than in any edition to date, this revision covers recent trends affecting the teaching of Social Studies in the United States in the age of Common Core State Standards, accountability, and the demand to meet the needs of all students in a changing global world.
NEW to this Edition:
Following in the vein of her best-selling elementary book, June Chapin focuses on key topics that are critical to the teaching of social studies in the middle and secondary classrooms.
This concise resource enables students to concentrate on crucial strategies and content to become effective social studies teachers who will be prepared to teach in diverse classrooms. The text interweaves small group and individual exercises, as well as large group discussion questions to show how to apply the methods and strategies to actual classroom experiences. It is designed to prepare readers to teach social studies creatively and thoughtfully so their students become knowledgeable and responsible citizens acting on core values and beliefs.
The second edition:
· Discusses the impact of No Child Left Behind and state standards.
· Includes new materials on wireless technology, WebQuests, handheld computers, tablet PCs, blogs, and computer security to help teachers incorporate technology into the curriculum.
· Gives expanded attention to English Language Learners, differentiated instruction, use of primary sources, gender, the Civic Mission of Schools, globalization, AP courses, mounting criticism of middle and high schools, and problem-based learning.
· Demonstrates three ways to teach a sample unit on the American Revolution including a technology approach, a conceptual approach, and a combined traditional project approach.
· Features new sample units, lesson plans, resources, and web sites in each chapter.
· Provides sample Classroom Episodes to challenge readers to react to actual classroom situations.
· Highlights a controversial topic in each chapter that explores the issues facing social studies teachers.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Pearson, 2015. Looseleaf. Book Condition: New. New Condition. SKU:9780133521245-1-0-3. Bookseller Inventory # 9780133521245-1-0-3
Book Description Pearson, 2014. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0133521249
Book Description Pearson, 2014. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0133521249
Book Description Pearson, 2014. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 133521249