This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Now in Pictureback® format comes Raymond Briggs' award-winning, enchanting story of a young boy and a snowman who share a magical night of friendship, fun, and flying. "The experience is one that neither he nor young readers will ever regret or forget." (Booklist, starred review). Our new Pictureback® format provides simple text written by the author.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
* Raymond Briggs was born in London in 1934. At the age of 15, he went to Wimbeldon Art School to learn how to draw, as he wanted to become a cartoonist. But there he was told that cartooning was not a profession for gentlemen and that he ought to be a painter.
* Raymond then went on to the Slade School in London to study painting as a full-time student. During his spare time, he began work on a portfolio of illustrations of all kinds, including jackets and a wide selection of drawings to take to publishers.
* After illustrating for advertising, newspapers and books, Raymond discovered that book illustration inspired him the most, since it offered far greater variety and freedom than anything else.
* Raymond has always found it unfavorable to sustain a consistent illustration style for a long period of time. He is always seeking to try something else new and different with his work.
* Some of Raymond's best known works are The Snowman , The Man , and The Bear . The setting for The Snowman is based on Raymond's own house and garden, which is in Sussex, England at the foot of South Downs, a few miles from Brighton.
PreSchool-K-- For some reason, Briggs has added words to his immortal wordless picture book about a small boy's nocturnal adventures with an all-too-mortal snowman. The result, to say the least, is disappointing. It features fewer pictures described in simple declarative sentences that relate the action but lose the potency of the narrative. Further, the story has been trimmed, and incidents adding texture to the original have been lost. Much of the snowman's characterization is gone; his gentle meeting with a cat has been cut, as have his telling fear of a lighted stove, his wonderment at the TV, and his bemusement at a pair of false teeth. All of his slapstick adventures with James's toys are gone; half of the flying journey has been eliminated. The bittersweet ending remains as Briggs allows James to make his discovery of his melted friend without comment, but much of its resonance is missing with the lost pictures. What is left is a simple, rather ordinary story of an adventure with a flying snowman suitable for preschoolers who might well have waited a bit longer until they were old enough to enjoy James's magical interlude in its fullest glory. --Christine Behrmann, New York Public Library
Copyright 1991 Reed Business Information, Inc.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Puffin Books. PAPERBACK. Condition: Good. 0141336803 Ships promptly from Texas. Seller Inventory # Z0141336803Z3
Book Description Puffin Books. PAPERBACK. Condition: Very Good. 0141336803 Very Good Condition. Five star seller - Buy with confidence!. Seller Inventory # Z0141336803Z2
Book Description Puffin Books, 2010. Paperback. Condition: Used; Good. We are committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service. All books are picked, packed and dispatched from the United Kingdom. Seller Inventory # PH2080753
Book Description PUFFIN, 2010. Paperback. Condition: Used; Good. Seller Inventory # 2486936
Book Description PUFFIN, 2010. Paperback. Condition: Used; Good. **SHIPPED FROM UK** We believe you will be completely satisfied with our quick and reliable service. All orders are dispatched as swiftly as possible! Buy with confidence!. Seller Inventory # 1606820
Book Description Puffin Books, 2010. Paperback. Condition: Very Good. Posted from the UK, daily. Seller Inventory # mon0000311069
Book Description Paperback. Condition: Very Good. The book has been read, but is in excellent condition. Pages are intact and not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine remains undamaged. Seller Inventory # GOR002881132
Book Description Paperback. Condition: Good. The book has been read but remains in clean condition. All pages are intact and the cover is intact. Some minor wear to the spine. Seller Inventory # GOR004550131
Book Description Puffin Books, 2009. Paperback. Condition: Good. Ships with Tracking Number! INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE Shipping available. May not contain Access Codes or Supplements. May be ex-library. Shipping & Handling by region. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!. Seller Inventory # 0141336803