This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
This new and revised second edition of Jeffrey S. Levinton's Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology promises to be as fascinating and informative as the first, with additions that bring it up-to-date on current research issues. Designed for one-semester junior/senior courses, this established volume stands as one of the most current and thorough resources for students in the multidisciplinary field of marine biology. The new edition includes significantly expanded coverage of marine mammals and hypothesis testing and offers entirely new sections on subtidal rocky reefs, metapopulations, marine invasions, marine protected areas and no-take fishery zones, and molecular approaches to marine biology and fisheries. It emphasizes the relationship of the functional ecology of organisms to higher levels of organization, including major marine habitats and ecosystems. It effectively describes a variety of current research areas, conveying the dynamic range of activity in the field, and uses "Hot Topics" Essays to teach students that scientific study is an active and ongoing process.
Complementing the text are a wealth of pedagogical features including:
· 32 full-color plates
· Expanded text boxes that highlight important and current research topics
· A self-test keyed to the chapters and bound into the back of the book
· The CD-ROM, "Marine Biology Explorations." This in-text CD takes students on a guided tour of marine environments and animals with approximately 450 full-color photographs and illustrations, annotated with informative descriptions. Images are from both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of North America, Europe, Australia, and Antarctica. Each subject area allows students to wander in new environments and encounter new organisms and ecological features.
· A Website maintained by the author: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/marinebio/mbweb.html. This useful website provides links to other sites such as college marine biology programs, careers and jobs in marine biology and oceanography, reference sites, organism pages, marine biology research literature, and worldwide marine laboratories.
· Ancillary PowerPoint® Overheads. These elaborate overheads include most of the pictures from the text and are available free to adopters on a CD-ROM (call 1-800-280-0280) or from the Internet: http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141725.html.
· An associated laboratory manual: Exploring Marine Biology by Paul Haefner. This book is the only manual of its kind with exercises that apply to all of the diverse marine habitats of North America. It meets the needs of any beginning marine biology student with little to no background in the biological sciences. Each unit includes a broad range of exercises, allowing instructors to select those that best match their needs. The manual is also unique in providing extensively illustrated identification keys for three of the major marine lifeforms: invertebrates, plankton, and fishes.
1996 272pp.; 101 illus.
0-19-51417-7 paper APS HAEFN
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Jeffrey S. Levinton is at State University of New York at Stony Brook.Review:
"An excellent book! I am very impressed with the breadth of coverage and the amount of substantive biology, especially ecology, that Levinton has incorporated into the text without sacrificing clarity and readability. An impressive treatment suitable for a range of undergraduate courses!" --Larry McEdward, University of Florida
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2001. Hardcover. Condition: New. Brand New!. Seller Inventory # VIB0195141725
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2001. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0195141725
Book Description Oxford University Press. Hardcover. Condition: New. 0195141725 New Condition. Seller Inventory # NEW7.0040237
Book Description U.S.A.: Oxford University Press, 2001. Hardcover. Condition: New. 2nd Edition. Ship out 1 business day,Brand new,US edition, Free tracking number usually 2-4 biz days delivery to worldwide Same shipping fee with US, Canada,Europe country, Australia, item will ship out from either LA or Asia es. Seller Inventory # ABE-14639163122