Widely regarded as the most captivating, accessible, and comprehensive text for undergraduate marine biology courses, Jeffrey S. Levinton's Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology, Third Edition, examines marine biology from a unique global and evolutionary perspective. Written in a clear, conversational style, this highly acclaimed volume emphasizes the principles and processes that underlie--and unify--vastly different marine communities.
NEW TO THE THIRD EDITION
· Full-Color Format: Captures the vibrancy of marine environments in a stunning new full-color presentation. Features photographs from the world's finest marine biologists and more than sixty new line drawings. All color images are integrated directly into the body of the text.
· More Real-World Applications: Presents many new "Hot Topics in Marine Biology" essays, each highlighting new developments and real-world applications. Also includes engaging discussions of human impacts on oceans, fisheries, and global climate change.
· Current and Expanded Topics: Places students on the cutting-edge with the latest in marine biology research, including updated coverage of molecular biology, the coral reef crisis, deep sea biology, bioluminescence, polar oceans, remote sensing techniques, overfishing, microbiology, and ocean warming and acidification.
· Enhanced Pedagogy: Concludes each chapter with a bulleted "Chapter Summary"--an entirely new feature of this edition. "Going Deeper" text boxes provide students with opportunities for further exploration. Full-sentence summary statements begin each chapter section, keeping students focused on the "big picture" as they read.
Maintained by the author, this comprehensive tool provides a multitude of aids for students and instructors.
· "Marine Biology Explorations": An interactive tour that guides students through nine different marine habitats. Features more than 450 annotated photographs!
· News Updates: Recent breakthroughs and news from the field
· Extensive Web Links: Useful links to websites containing research literature and career information, as well as links to worldwide marine laboratory sites
· Summary and Review Aids (also available in the text)
Instructor Resources (available to adopters of the text and password-protected)
· Downloadable Electronic Images: All illustrations from the text available for lecture preparation
· PowerPoint Lecture Notes: More than 400 lecture notes slides, all organized by chapter
· Test Bank*: Approximately 400 questions--written by the author--in editable Microsoft Word files (*available only on the Instructor's Resource CD-ROM: contact your Oxford University Press sales representative for details)
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Jeffrey S. Levinton is Distinguished Professor of Ecology and Evolution at Stony Brook University.
"Levinton's book is easy to follow yet challenging and is at a perfect level for undergraduate biology majors."--Jayson Smith, California State University, Fullerton
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2008. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P110195326946
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 2008. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 3. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0195326946
Book Description Oxford University Press. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 0195326946 New US Edition Textbook, Ships with Emailed Tracking from USA. Bookseller Inventory # Z0195326946ZN