This eclectic collection of contemporary and classical articles examines a variety of operational and administrative issues in the context of modern police work. It provides even coverage in terms of both theoretical and applied perspectives, with an analytical approach. In this regard, the reader is given a foundation as to why the police operate as they do.
Gaines and Cordner's anthology offers the following distinctive features:
* A number of articles on the community policing movement.
* A section addressing administrative issues. Critics of policing have charged that antiquated management styles have hampered the progress of community policing.
* The section on doing police work addresses a number of specific operational issues.
* A strong section on ethics and deviance. Some critics charge that community policing may result in increased levels of police corruption and ethical violations.
* Articles that put the "problem solving" strategy of community policing into perspective.
Thought-provoking introductions to each article and each section guide the student and ease instruction by identifying and explaining central issues, key concepts, and relationships among topics. This gives internal cohesiveness and structure to the selections. A comprehensive subject index is also provided.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Larry K. Gaines is at California State University at San Bernardino. Gary W. Cordner is at Eastern Kentucky University.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press, 1998. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110195329791
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 1998. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0195329791
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97801953297971.0
Book Description Oxford University Press, 1998. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0195329791
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 1998. Paperback. Book Condition: Brand New. 1st edition. 458 pages. 9.25x7.00x1.00 inches. In Stock. Bookseller Inventory # 0195329791