Ideas and Styles in the Western Musical Tradition, Third Edition, explores the conceptual frameworks that have shaped musical development from antiquity to the present. In a lively narrative that prompts readers to think both critically and creatively, Douglass Seaton uses historical documents from thinkers, artists, and musicians to add rich detail to the compelling story of Western music. This brief and accessible narrative of music history features numerous works of art, literature, and music that immerse the reader in the historical and intellectual contexts of musical styles.
In addition, the thoroughly updated and revised third edition:
* Includes the most current historiography
* Clarifies the interconnections and divisions between musical periods, moving away from "periodization" terms
* Offers an updated and comprehensive timeline
* Expands the final chapter with additional recent works and more reflection on postmodernism
* Features a unique anthology-free design that allows instructors the flexibility to choose their own musical examples (a correlation guide to the major score anthologies is included in the Companion Website)
The third edition is also enhanced by a new Companion Website (www.oup.com/us/seaton) with study aids, teaching tips, chapter synopses, review and quiz materials, and listening recommendations. Also included are questions for study and reflection, guidance for research and writing in music history, and hints for pronouncing church Latin, as well as a correlation guide to the major score anthologies.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Douglass Seaton is Warren D. Allen Professor of Music at The Florida State University.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2009. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110195379888
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 2009. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 3. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0195379888
Book Description Oxford University Press. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 0195379888 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW6.0077892