The only global, comparative text on women in politics, Women and Politics in a Global World, Second Edition, is a thorough examination of the impact of women on politics--and the impact of politics on women. Whereas most texts on this topic assume an American perspective, this unique text takes a cross-national, comparative approach to women and politics. Sarah L. Henderson and Alana S. Jeydel carefully consider women's participation in institutionalized politics, social protest, and nationalist, fundamentalist, and revolutionary movements.
To help break down the material and make it more accessible to students, the authors unify discussions of women's issues around four core areas:
* The assurance of women's safety and autonomy
* Reproductive rights and health care for mothers and children
* Equal access to employment and public resources including education, social services, and economic benefits
* Women's access to political institutions and positions of authority
They also explore women's rights in the broader context of international human rights and address issues confronting women in the world community, including economic development, war, and international law. In addition, the authors address the global explosion of women's activism in the post-World War II era. They illustrate the ways in which women are standing up not only for themselves but for other disempowered groups on behalf of equality, liberation, and better living conditions.
Designed for courses in women and politics, Women and Politics in a Global World, Second Edition, is also an ideal supplement for women's studies and comparative politics courses.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
* Updates all data to reflect recent global issues and new political developments
* Expands coverage of women's issues within Part III, featuring topics of high student interest
* Integrates new discussions of many women's issues, including international trafficking, the increasing incidence of female soldiers in civil conflicts, the reintegration of child soldiers after war, global migration, and the impact of structural adjustment policies on women's access to education
* Adds "Feature" boxes with profiles of individuals and organizations that have influenced women's issues
* Provides new end-of-chapter "For More Information" sections listing resources for further learning (relevant books, memoirs, diaries, and websites)
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Sarah L. Henderson is Associate Professor of Political Science at Oregon State University.
Alana S. Jeydel is Assistant Professor of Political Science at American River College.
"No other book provides this text's information-packed, broad, thematic, and comparative discussion of women and politics. . . . It is a tour-de-force-description of women's political needs as well as their political activities across the globe."--Manjusha Gupte, North Dakota State University"I have adopted Women and Politics in a Global World and would recommend it to a colleague. . . . One of the things that I like about this book is that it brings the expansive literatures on women's movements and women's policy problems to the undergraduate level and examines them in one book, eliminating the need to assign multiple books on the different topics."--Julie M. Bunck, University of Louisville
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2009. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # M0195388070
Book Description Oxford Univ Pr, 2009. Paperback. Book Condition: Brand New. 2nd edition. 414 pages. 9.25x6.00x0.75 inches. In Stock. Bookseller Inventory # zk0195388070
Book Description OUP USA 2010-02-11, New York |Oxford, 2010. paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # 9780195388077
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2009. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P110195388070
Book Description Oxford University Press. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 0195388070 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW7.0043632