This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
This comprehensive introduction to the senses explains how physical stimuli are transformed into signals in the nervous system and how the brain uses those signals to understand the world. Whereas most texts in the field begin by covering vision, this trailblazing work offers students a solid grounding in the principles of perceptual measurement and the biological mechanisms that make perception possible before introducing the somatosensory and olfactory systems. This innovative presentation ensures that students have a firm grasp of the basics before they approach the complexities of hearing and vision. Written specifically for students encountering the discipline for the first time, Fundamentals of Sensory Perception is a cutting-edge introduction to sensation and perception.
* Unique and accessible organization. Opening chapters explore touch and the chemical senses before moving on to auditory systems and vision. This structure allows students to gradually build their knowledge about sensation and perception before tackling more complex and challenging concepts.
* Comprehensible. The language and tone throughout are suitable for introductory perception students.
* Authoritative. Avi Chaudhuri has taught widely in both Canada and the United States over the past 30 years and his vast experience in both education and research is reflected in the text, making this an indispensable introduction to the field.
* Balanced coverage of classic and contemporary material. The most current research, references, and examples have been integrated into a historical narrative that tells the story of how important concepts were discovered, offering students the perfect mix of classic content and cutting-edge information.
* An abundance of figures and illustrations. With 356 figures, 24 tables, and 130 photos, this text offers the most brilliant art program currently available. Each figure and illustration has been carefully selected to ensure it best represents crucial subject matter.
* Extensive box program. Engaging boxes are integrated throughout to pique student interest and provide additional information.
- Portraits and Side notes identify key figures, essential theories, and noteworthy topics from the history of perceptual research.
- Investigation boxes provide suggestions for fun, easy-to-conduct experiments.
- Methodology boxes focus on specific research projects--past and present--that demonstrate how the principles discussed in the text can be put into practice.
* Engaging pedagogy. Chapter openers, review questions, bulleted summaries, suggestions for further reading, lists of key terms, and a glossary give students the tools required to be successful in their studies.
* Vibrant. Full-color design throughout brings concepts to life.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Avi Chaudhuri is a professor at McGill University and director of the university's vision lab. Specializing in the molecular biology of vision and visual psychophysics, professor Chaudhuri obtained his PhD in visual sciences and psychophysics from UC-Berkley. He is a frequent attendee and keynote speaker at psychological conferences around the world. Fundamentals of Sensory Perception will be his first book.
"A fresh and modern look at sensory processing. . . a pleasure to read. I particularly enjoyed that the book did not begin with the visual system, as virtually every other book does. The introductory chapter explains some difficult psychophysical concepts very well."--Stephen G. Lomber, University of Western Ontario
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Hardcover. Condition: 11. still wrapped ,some shelf wear.(L-B).N-10.U/N. Seller Inventory # 2Y-MWV8-UCLD
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 2010. Hardcover. Condition: New. 1. Seller Inventory # DADAX0195433750
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2010. Hardcover. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P110195433750
Book Description Oxford University Press. Hardcover. Condition: New. 0195433750 New Condition. Seller Inventory # NEW7.0044019
Book Description Oxford University Press. Hardcover. Condition: New. 0195433750 RECEIVE in 2-4 DAYS! SAME DAY SHIPPING ! NEW BOOK. Standard ETA: 3-5 business days, Expedited ETA: 2-3 business days. Satisfaction guaranteed! @. Seller Inventory # SKU1042608
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2010. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0195433750
Book Description Oxford University Press. Hardcover. Condition: New. 0195433750 New US Edition Textbook, Ships with Emailed Tracking from USA. Seller Inventory # Z0195433750ZN
Book Description Oxford University Press. Condition: New. Brand New. Seller Inventory # 0195433750
Book Description 2010. HRD. Condition: New. New Book. Shipped from US within 10 to 14 business days. Established seller since 2000. Seller Inventory # VU-9780195433753
Book Description Oxford University Press, Canada, Canada, 2010. Hardback. Condition: New. Language: English . This book usually ship within 10-15 business days and we will endeavor to dispatch orders quicker than this where possible. Brand New Book. Designed for college and university students enrolled in second- and third-year sensation and perception courses, Fundamentals of Sensory Perception explores how senses function and how physical stimuli get transformed into signals in the nervous system, as well as how the brain uses those signals to understand the world. Using an innovative presentation of the material, Fundamentals of Sensory Perception begins with the sensation and perception processes that are easiest for students to understand, and uses this knowledge to create a better, more comprehensive understanding of the more complex concepts. The text provides a detailed investigation of all the senses. First, students are introduced to fundamental concepts such as perceptual measurement and the biological foundations of sensory perception. Second, the somatosensory system is presented, introducing students to touch, feeling, and pain, as well as neural receptive fields, a concept that makes the later coverage of vision easier to understand. Next, the chemical senses are covered followed by chapters on the auditory system with chapters on sound and the ear, the perceptual aspects of hearing, and music and speech perception. Finally, the text presents an extensive exploration of vision with chapters on light, optics, and the eye; retinal processing and early vision; cortical processing and object perception; colour perception; depth perception and stereopsis; and motion perception, eye movements, and action. Throughout the text, readers are grounded in the basic scientific principles and biological processes that they need to knowledgeably explore the neurobiological mechanisms of perceptual phenomena. Seller Inventory # BTE9780195433753