This engaging guide to the hidden corridors of the mind explores the mental processes through which we interact with the world. Drawing on the work of esteemed researchers and scholars, Cognition applies real-life examples to key theories in order to create an accessible, yet comprehensive primer to the field.
Demonstrates how theory can be applied to real-life situations, providing a practical approach for first-time students of cognitive psychology
Covers key topics such as perception, memory, language, problem-solving, creativity, and reasoning, giving students a well-rounded introduction to the field
Cites classic and current research from around the world, including the U.S., Canada, and Europe, offering students a global perspective on the study of cognition
Presents key historical information at the start of each chapter, providing a context for the material that follows
Includes rich pedagogy, encouraging active learning of key concepts:
* "Cognition in Action" boxes connect real-life examples with chapter material.
* "Think Twice" boxes feature creative review exercises that invite students to engage personally with ideas and issues raised in the chapter.
* "Consider This" boxes highlight notable and cutting-edge research findings.
* "In the Know" review questions at the end of each chapter provide further opportunity for students to test their comprehension.
* The book also includes a running glossary, highlighted key terms, learning objectives, chapter summaries, and suggestions for further reading.
* Chapter overviews
* Key concepts with illustrative examples
* Discussion and debate ideas
* Further reading, media suggestions, and teaching aids
* Homework assignments with sample answers
* Suggestions for research paper topics
* Sample syllabus
* Web links
* Summary of key points for each chapter
* Figures, tables, and images from the book
Test Bank with questions for every chapter, including:
* 25+ multiple-choice questions
* 25 short-answer questions
* 25+ true-or-false questions
* 15 fill-in-the-blank questions
* Sample final exam
* Review questions with answers
* For every chapter: 3-4 short-answer questions, 5 fill-in-the-blank questions, 5 true-or-false questions, and 10 multiple-choice questions
Student Study Guide
* Chapter summaries
* Key terms with definitions
* Midterm and final exam study tips
Discovery Lab Online (ISBN 9780195447774)
* Includes 30-40 labs that test or demonstrate key concepts or theories covered in the text
* Gives students an opportunity to act as researcher or test subject, and the ability to analyze and share results
E-Book (ISBN 9780199000579)
Available through CourseSmart
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Daniel Smilek is an associate professor at the University of Waterloo. He is also actively involved in new cognitive research related to perception, language, and memory. In addition to Cognition, Dan has previously written for Oxford UK, having contributed a chapter to the Oxford Companion to Consciousness. Scott Sinnett is an assistant professor at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. His research focuses on attention and perception in both applied and laboratory settings. He teaches a number of courses ranging from introductory psychology to upper-year courses in cognitive psychology. Alan Kingstone is a professor at the University of British Columbia. Alan is an associate editor of the British Journal of Psychology and commonly teaches upper-year courses in cognitive neuroscience and brain and behaviour in addition to running the neuroscience lab at UBC.Review:
"The authors are not afraid to challenge students with some complex issues, such as the relationship between mind and brain, the ecological approach, and Gibsonian theory. . . . This is a very high-quality book." --Penny M. Pexman, University of Calgary
"The material is ideal for my undergraduate courses: both challenging and accessible for the newcomer. . . . The writing style is clear and immensely readable. I have to admit that I enjoyed reading it; I think my students will too." --Robert Cassidy, Concordia University
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 0195447492 ACCESS INCLUDED! SHRINK WRAPPED! - Brand New! Fast Shipping! Excellent Customer Service!. Bookseller Inventory # Z0195447492ZN
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2013. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P110195447492
Book Description OUP Canada, 2013. Hardcover. Book Condition: Brand New. 5th edition. 544 pages. 10.10x8.20x0.90 inches. In Stock. Bookseller Inventory # zk0195447492
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2013. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # M0195447492
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2013. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0195447492
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2013. Book Condition: new. Shiny and new! Expect delivery in 20 days. Bookseller Inventory # 9780195447491-1