This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
This is a completely revised and updated edition of The [Oxford] Illustrated Companion to South Indian Classical Music, which includes the latest available information on the subject. Acclaimed as the most authoritative reference work on South Indian classical music, the Companion:
* provides an overview of the historical and cultural contexts of the music, its instruments, composers, leading practitioners, and schools
* contains more than 120 line drawings and photographs of all the instruments discussed, as well as of major composers; includes a special colour plates section
* includes detailed biographical notes on musicians and composers
* contains Guide to Pronunciation and Transliteration, Select bibliography and Further Reading, Glossary-cum-Index
* includes Alphabetical Index of Ragas and Scales, Index of Names
An indispensable and enriching reference work for the connoisseur, practicing musician, interested amateur, impresario, teacher, and student, the Companion will be of interest to anybody keen to learn about Indian culture.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Ludwig Pesch, widely regarded as an authority on South Indian classical music, is a practicing Karnatic musician with training from Kalakshetra College of Fine Arts, Chennai, and elsewhere. He has performed widely, both with his guru, the late H. Ramachandra Shastry, and solo. He has lectured
and performed at several Max Mueller Bhavans in India and universities in the US.
This volume is a welcome addition to the list ... contains some excellent material, clearly presented in a scholarly fashion ... a handy reference volume on Karnatak music. British Journal of Ethnomusicology
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Hardcover. Condition: Very Good. WE ARE PROCESSING ORDERS AS NORMAL DURING THIS VIRUS EPIDEMIC, ALL ITEMS ARE SENT BY ROYAL MAIL. DISPATCHED FROM THE UK WITHIN 24 HOURS ( BOOKS ORDERED OVER THE WEEKEND DISPATCHED ON MONDAY) BY ROYAL MAIL. ALL OVERSEAS ORDERS SENT BY AIR MAIL. WE ALSO ACCEPT PAYMENT IN US DOLLARS OR EURO BY BANK TRANSFER. Seller Inventory # mon0000786918
Book Description Hardcover. Condition: Used - Good. Seller Inventory # 9780195699982
Book Description Hardback. Condition: Muy Bueno / Very Good. Seller Inventory # 100000000650054