With the fall of the Iron Curtain, the Russian language has exploded, responding to new idioms, terminology, and usage pouring in from the West. Anyone wishing to keep up with contemporary Russian will search existing dictionaries in vain for such words as "cash machine," "road rage," "mobile phone," and many other terms reflecting the rapidly changing reality in the former Soviet Union.
This completely revised edition of The Oxford Russian Dictionary is the first to incorporate those changes. Offering a comprehensive look at both languages, it includes over 185,000 words and phrases and 290,000 translations. The dictionary provides exceptional coverage of regional Russian, British, and American dialects as well as of modern idioms and colloquial usage, with numerous illustrative examples. It also includes all common abbreviations and acronyms, such as DTP, ROM, AIDS, and others; helpful advice on difficult points of grammar; and pronunciation in the International Phonetic Alphabet for every English headword, an indispensable aid for Russian speakers. Features include:
· Over 185,000 words and phrases, and 290,000 translations to provide comprehensive coverage of contemporary Russian and English
· All the latest vocabulary from "hyperinflation" to "multimedia" and from "cash machine" to "electronic security system" and "road rage"
· Special emphasis on current idioms and colloquial usage with thousands of examples to illustrate their use
· The latest business, computing, and specialist vocabulary along with common abbreviations and acronyms
· Attractive layout to facilitate ease of use, improved typography, and Russian alphabet at the foot of each page
Unsurpassed in convenience and in comprehensive, reliable coverage, this new edition of The Oxford Russian Dictionary will be the first choice for students, teachers, translators, and anyone who needs to keep abreast of the Russian language as it is spoken today.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Marcus Wheeler is Professor of Russian at the Queen's University of Belfast.
Text: English, Russian
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2007. Hardcover. Book Condition: Used: Good. Bookseller Inventory # SONG0199233837